Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Depot Forum - Email Activation Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    I forgot to mention earlier - it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance as well, Bruce, you're another familiar name.

@Vern If you ever fancy a fairly quick* and relaxing ride, take the Texas Eagle or Sunset Limited out of LA Union Station along the Alhambra Sub. Goes over the West Colton diamond and disappears down the Yuma sub.

*by Run8 standards
    The Amtrak equipment (along with Trona) is on my December shopping list!

At the moment I'm in one of the Barstow Yards (Up Departure I think) unhooking my Dash 8's and going to replace them with SD40's or SD45's - just too quiet and not enough thrash, even in head out or sitting on the roof view!
    Vern.

I forgot to mention earlier - it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance as well, Bruce, you're another familiar name.....
    Thank you. Seems like years since we started in this hobby. Well, it is years...decades, in fact!

Mr. Angel, you haven't answered the question I put earlier #15 in this thread...did you take your nickname from that large steel sculpture called the Angel of the North....somewhere in northern England?
    Last edited by seagoon; 11-30-2020 at 02:54 PM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    .... just too quiet and not enough thrash, even in head out or sitting on the roof view!
    Plenty of noise with the SD-40s and that P3R4 horn!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Even just shunting them on the front of the train got the juices flowing.

As an aside, is there a way to make the Ctrl-F12 rear view actually "stick" to the train? I find it just puts you on the ground and you then have to chase after the locos to make sure you apply the brakes so you don't smash the couplers.

I also played around with the graphics settings a bit and have managed to eliminate some of that bleached out effect that seems to be the default. Not too saturated but more to my liking.
    Vern.

....is there a way to make the Ctrl-F12 rear view actually "stick" to the train?.
    No, not that I've been able to discover, Vern.

....... have managed to eliminate some of that bleached out effect that seems to be the default. Not too saturated but more to my liking.
    After learning that ReShade would not work with Run 8 I found that by switching my monitor to "Game Mode" really enhanced the image....not overdone but perfectly acceptable for me.

metalangel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Thank you. Seems like years since we started in this hobby. Well, it is years...decades, in fact!

Mr. Angel, you haven't answered the question I put earlier #15 in this thread...did you take your nickname from that large steel sculpture called the Angel of the North....somewhere in northern England?
    Nah, it's a very old nickname that I came up in a big rush in a chatroom and ended up stuck with it in a number of other places including here (I've been on this site since the launch of MSTS, just not the forums)... my username pretty much everywhere else has been "meatballs_21" for several years, which was a nickname I was given IRL by my best friend.

Nah, it's a very old nickname that I came up in a big rush in a chatroom......
    Okay...thanks for confirming which way it was.
    I thought that seeing Angel of the North is situated near the Tyne & Wear railway that there may have been a connection.

metalangel Guest

My father's side of the family is from Newcastle-upon-Tyne (why aye man etc) but that's a coincidence! It might be where I get my resistance to the cold from.

..... It might be where I get my resistance to the cold from.
    Speaking of cold and Toronto, we became friends when living in Canberra (another cold hole in winter....in Aussie terms of "cold", that is) with a couple from Toronto. The husband was on secondment to the Defence Dept. for a couple of years.
    When it became time for them to return to Canada neither wanted to go back to the -25 degree temps in winter, so they ended up applying for residency, were accepted, went home for a month, packed everything up and then came back.

metalangel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Speaking of cold and Toronto, we became friends when living in Canberra (another cold hole in winter....in Aussie terms of "cold", that is) with a couple from Toronto. The husband was on secondment to the Defence Dept. for a couple of years.
    When it became time for them to return to Canada neither wanted to go back to the -25 degree temps in winter, so they ended up applying for residency, were accepted, went home for a month, packed everything up and then came back.
    Well, living in the UK for a decade and a half, I missed having actual seasons (my dad, UK raised but living in Canada four decades, reckons Canada has seasons, the UK has weather) and also predictable weather - like, you know when it's winter here, it's cold, you know when it's summer, it's going to be hot and sunny. It's much less changeable. I love going for walks and have been out when it's so cold that my breath freezes into ice on the outside of my face covering.

I can see people having had enough of that, Toronto's winters are mild (thanks to the lake) compared to what they get in Edmonton or "Winterpeg". My dad is going to miss his annual trip to the Caribbean at the start of next year, and many older Canadians are "snow birds" who fly south, usually to Arizona or Florida, for the whole winter. They're finding all sorts of trickery to get around the closed Canada/US border but that's another story.

As an aside, is there a way to make the Ctrl-F12 rear view actually "stick" to the train? I find it just puts you on the ground and you then have to chase after the locos to make sure you apply the brakes so you don't smash the couplers.
    There is the key you can push when you're on foot near a grab rail (it might be F11) and you'll grab onto the train and ride it. Not the same as at the chase cam, but something. Or, what about going into the normal chase cam and then clicking on the part of the train you want to follow? If I recall, that moves the camera over to it. I don't know if that works for the rear view cam.