Thread: edit of smoke effect fail!

Default edit of smoke effect fail!

G'day all, today I am going through my locos changing the smoke effect for OR. all was going well when I came across several files that when I made the alteration I want to SAVE and where it would normally close it wanted me to save as?
    I think this is because they were not saved correctly in the first place, I know that this can be fixed but I cannot remember how. I think it was fairly simple, can anyone assist with this issue?
    Regards
    Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin1812 View Post
    G'day all, today I am going through my locos changing the smoke effect for OR. all was going well when I came across several files that when I made the alteration I want to SAVE and where it would normally close it wanted me to save as?
    I think this is because they were not saved correctly in the first place, I know that this can be fixed but I cannot remember how. I think it was fairly simple, can anyone assist with this issue?
    Regards
    Barrie
    Do you want to tell us what program you are using to edit with or should we guess?
    Charles

I think that if you look at the eng file, then left click on Properties, and then see if the "Read Only" box is checked. If so, uncheck it, and you should be able to make changes within the eng file.

G'day, that was the problem, being marked as read only. Thanks for that I knew it was something simple but the old mind does not remember as good as it used to, I have put it in the OR fixes bin for safe keeping.
    I edit the files manually.
    Regards
    Barrie
    Last edited by gremlin1812; 11-26-2020 at 07:29 PM.

I edit the files manually.
    Regards
    Barrie
    Well if you are doing it on paper I can't help. I use either ConText, Notepad++, or the editors that come with Windows: Notepad and WordPad.
    Last edited by crstagg; 11-26-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    Charles

Regards
    Barrie
    3dtrains has a diesel smoke download that you can use to change the density of the smoke. It ranges from light to heavy, works well in openrails