Thread: Using RouteRiter to duplicate & rename a route

Cool Using RouteRiter to duplicate & rename a route

Colleagues,

There is a thread about this and the little adjustment that must be made after
    duplicating & renaming a route, but I have a more basic issue.

I am using RouteRiter 7.8.10 which was released by Digital Rails and nowhere
    in that item can I find any command about duplicating a route.

Could one of you advise me on this issue. It does not seem to be that difficult
    to do it manually. If I just copy the entire "X" directory to a scratch location
    and then rename it to "Y", and likewise rename roughly 6 or 7 files in the root
    as well as change the name in the indicated file that ought to do it, right??

I have completed the Knoxville Div., Knoxville to Corbin, less interactives and
    it is out for checking, so I wanted to create a version 2 which will come later
    with the Southern Rwy. (NS) lines added, and later perhaps a version 3 which
    would add the southern 50 miles or so to complete the route to Etowah, TN
    which is the division point at the south end.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)

Manual copying is pretty simple - it takes just a couple minutes:

All I do is copy-paste the route, change the folder name, and then change the database names as well as the relevant entries in the .trk file to match the new name (it'll be obvious which lines need changing). Hasn't failed me yet

Using RR 7 8 10 click on the 3rd tab "MSTS File Utils". There it is 2nd column 3rd one down -- Duplicate route with new name

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    Manual copying is pretty simple - it takes just a couple minutes:

All I do is copy-paste the route, change the folder name, and then change the database names as well as the relevant entries in the .trk file to match the new name (it'll be obvious which lines need changing). Hasn't failed me yet

Thats how I do it also, simple.
    Jim

Thanks friends. I went ahead and did the copy & rename and it went fine. Now I am in the process of adding parts of 2
    routes to a 3rd route in order to duplicate those areas.

The first route is the Eastern Ky Division (now Subdivision) including two early routes into the coal fields.
    2nd is the Knoxville to Corbin line.
    3rd & new route will be Corbin to Cincinnati but I will probably stop that on the south bank of the Ohio R.

the Corbin yard area, and Winchester to Richmond have been copied from the 2nd & 1st routes. At this
    point I find that I do have to remove manually from the world files all dynamic track. There is not much
    as I try to avoid it anyway. Then I go into the new route & re-insert the dynamic track and then just
    touch each piece of regular track which builds the data base. I could do this with a database rebuild but
    I find it preferable to do it manually so that if an anomaly is found, it can be immediately fixed.

J. H. Sullivan