Thread: Service Instructions: Stop At, Go Via

Default Service Instructions: Stop At, Go Via

Hi,

Stop At (Location)
    Does that always mean stop the locomotive at the indicated position? I'm doing Sand Patch Yard Switching modules (scenarios<?>) and what it is asking me to do winds up blocking up the yard including blocking me from subsequent Stop At orders. So far, I have always stopped the locomotive at the indicated position and things have worked out.

The scenario cannot proceed using the routes on the Map if I stop the locomotive and Decouple the vehicles where it tells me to. Everything would work if I were to put the last car in the cut at that location. Thus my question. My cut is 250 Yds. in length. Does Stop At ever mean stop the leading edge of the train at the indicated location? I'm pushing 11 vehicles. (stop the loco at [Indicated Position - 250 Yds]) Because if that were true this scenario would start making sense.

Is it possible the game wants me to figure out how to move the cut out of the way in order to get by them? Is it possible the game wants me to find a different route to the Indicated Position? Is it a bug in the software?
    I'm thinking this might become fun eventually.

Go Via (location)
    Are you supposed to stop at a Go Via position? If yes, what is the difference between a Go Via and a Stop At?

Go via means you just pass by that location and the scenario updates. Stop at means just that, you stop and wait for the countdown timer to run (or operate doors on a pax service) then wait for the next objective to appear.
    Vern.

I think your guess about the "Stop At" is correct. When pushing a consist, the "Stop At" is applicable to the leading end (the end furthest from the locomotive). I have found this out the hard way when pushing consists of cars to a couple. It tells me I have 200 yards to go, and then WHAM, a really hard joint. Turns out the 200 yards was from the cab I was sitting in, not the end of the train I was pushing. This is most difficult to navigate at night.

I don't think it wants you to figure out how to move the consist out of the way. The "Stop At" function in many of the switching scenarios is immediately followed by an uncouple instruction, which leads me to believe the "Stop At" instruction indicates the proper track that the consist is to be left upon.

Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by tbundy1982 View Post
    I think your guess about the "Stop At" is correct. When pushing a consist, the "Stop At" is applicable to the leading end (the end furthest from the locomotive). I have found this out the hard way when pushing consists of cars to a couple. It tells me I have 200 yards to go, and then WHAM, a really hard joint. Turns out the 200 yards was from the cab I was sitting in, not the end of the train I was pushing. This is most difficult to navigate at night.

I don't think it wants you to figure out how to move the consist out of the way. The "Stop At" function in many of the switching scenarios is immediately followed by an uncouple instruction, which leads me to believe the "Stop At" instruction indicates the proper track that the consist is to be left upon.

Tyler
    Tyler, Thank you. This is great info. This does not seem to be something we should have to learn the hard way, but it is what it is.

I did already go back and try putting the leading edge of the pushed cut right on the marker. What happens is - the game does not advance to the next objective. (which is the uncouple cars ) The sequence of objectives (instructions) will only advance if the engine hits the marker.

So this is what I am going to do:
    There is nothing down the track to hit. The map shows it red, but there is nothing there.
    I am going to drive the engine to the marker so the game will advance to [uncouple cars]
    BUT, before I uncouple them I am going to pull them back up the track with me (on the way to the Stop At that comes after the Uncouple) and uncouple them at the correct place.

I don't know how the game will react to all of that seemingly "out of control" activity, and I may get all kinds of penalty and a crap score for that objective, but hopefully I will be able to move on to the more interesting objectives in this sequence.