Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TS Mullan Pass “Boeing Train West Part 1”

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    It is a lot more useful to say i am using mg82 rather than the latest version.
    When the conversation is revisited in some months time, no one will know what version you are running.

I will try with mg82.
    Sorry I was ruining MG version 81 that I downloaded on 11-15. I didn’t realize 82 was out. I’m getting between 60-80 FPS on that activity so far.

Quote Originally Posted by trainmanaustin View Post
    Ok, I am using the same version as you and have the same issues. If I switch back to the 1.31 version, the activity works normally.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Yep I used 1.31 and finally got going forward. I went as far as the end of the west siding at Blossburg then saved and quit because I have things to get done this morning. . My guess is the rest of the activity will be ran as the combined train or is there a point where you separate again?

I believe you stay coupled, because part 2 starts with the grain train pulling away ahead of you.
    Dell desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GT710 2GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver.

Quote Originally Posted by niknak View Post
    I believe you stay coupled, because part 2 starts with the grain train pulling away ahead of you.
    Thanks

Much as I prefer operating as realistically as possible when I sim, I don't use the "Break Couplers" option in Open Rails. Here is why: OR currently has no method to "manage" mid-train or rear helpers (either DP or manned). All they can do is match the operation of the lead locomotives. That is NOT prototypical. The result is that the sim can create stresses that can be avoided in prototypical operation. Helper or DP operations, particularly on heavy or undulating grades requires that mid-train or rear locomotives be able to operate independently from the lead locos. In DP operations, this is accomplished by "building the fence"--that is, allowing the engineer to control his lead locos separately from the DP power. For example, when cresting a grade, the engineer may be shutting the throttles of the lead locos or even putting them into dynamic braking, while the mid-train ("swing") DP units and the rear DP units may still be in power shoving the rear of the train upgrade. OR can't currently emulate this (though I believe that it's being worked on).

There are some other "quirks" still in OR. For example, in prototype operation with MU locomotives (including DP units), the air compressors on all the units contribute to recharging the air lines--in OR only the lead unit(s) do, so brakes don't operate very prototypically. Put all of these factors together, and it's easy to exceed coupler strengths, etc. in OR, even if the simmer is operating the locos correctly. That is why I don't use the break couplers option currently.