Thread: An interesting learning experience.

Default An interesting learning experience.

I spent several hours today fiddling around, trying to become familiar with, in particular, the San Bernadino section and the Alhambra line.
    I didn't operate a train, just moved around the World, following various units which I had switched onto lines I'd never visited before.
    To assist me I flicked between the SoCal map (provided by Brad) and the Despatcher screens and used (Ctrl+F12) to zoom at altitude between various switches (Space+Cursor).

By loading up one of the largest worlds (in terms of number of trains and trains in motion) and using the above procedures I learned more about what goes where and where it comes from that I had ever known before.

I can recommend this method to familiarise yourself with an area which you may never have seen other than as a location on a despatcher's board. When you see what it looks like in 3D, and in proportion, it makes a big difference.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Good idea, Bruce. What I tend to do is keep the iPad nearby with Open Street Map open to study the area!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Good idea, Bruce. What I tend to do is keep the iPad nearby with Open Street Map open to study the area!
    I've never heard of that app so just searched for it and learned something.
    I would normally use Google Maps or Google Earth.
    Great idea, Vern.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

OpenRailwayMap.org is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    OpenRailwayMap.org is even better.
    Thanks, Edwin.

It's a bit slow in updating (zooming in/out) and appears to replicate the same railroad info that is on OpenStreetMap, albeit in colour.