Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Green signal/Red signal issue

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville,, FL, USA.
    Posts
    3,894

    Talking Green signal/Red signal issue

    Colleagues,

    I am putting the finishing touches on my Corbin-Knoxville route and was adding signals.
    I am using pretty much the default signal scripts with searchlight signals which would
    have been more or less correct for this line until the late 1970s.

    At the end of a controlled siding, the exit signal is a 2-head SL with the top head set to
    fixed red.

    When I start an activity a few yard prior to this signal, which is on the diverging side of
    the exit turnout, it is green in the F4 window until the engine is even with the signal at
    which point it switches to red & I get an activity ended message.

    It has been a few years since I worked on a route with signals, so does anyone have
    any idea what might cause this. The test train is 7 passenger cars & 2 E-6 units and
    I do not believe any signal is overlapped by the rear of the train.

    And yes I could probably use newer signal scripts & signals but all of those done by
    Travis are ORTS only and I prefer my routes to be MSTS compatible.

    Jerry Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville,, FL, USA.
    Posts
    3,894

    Default

    I think I found the problem. I was starting the activity about a car length prior to the
    offending signal which would display green until I got to it, and then switch to red.

    I moved the start point back about 1.5 miles and before a permissive signal which was
    distant to the above absolute signal.

    Activity started fine, proceeded past the offending signal & out into single track, so
    I guess that was the issue.

    J. H. Sullivan

  3. #3

    Default

    I think I found the problem. I was starting the activity about a car length prior to the
    offending signal which would display green until I got to it, and then switch to red.

    I moved the start point back about 1.5 miles and before a permissive signal which was
    distant to the above absolute signal.

    Activity started fine, proceeded past the offending signal & out into single track, so
    I guess that was the issue.

    J. H. Sullivan
    So the solution was to backtrack and restart the activity
    am I right?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville,, FL, USA.
    Posts
    3,894

    Default

    It turned out to not be quite the solution. Whether or not the end activity occurred depended on the speed at which the
    train approached the signal which was at clear, or literally diverging clear. I then realized that the signals might be
    too close to the trailing points and on close examination they were right at the fouling point. So I moved the exit
    signals further back from the trailing points and have experienced no issues. I had used this same scheme on my
    Hook & Eye route that I issued several years ago, with no problems. I plan a version 2 of this route with additional
    track & coal mine access, and possibly a version 3. Right now, I want to use Travis Ebner's CSX Rules on future
    versions instead of these considerably less than correct signal scripts.

    J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville,, FL, USA.
    Posts
    3,894

    Default

    I continued to have the problem which in most cases was cleared by moving the exit
    signals further from the fouling point. Then I looked this issue up again in the
    Route Design forum and there are many references to it, mostly prior to 2017 or so.

    Turns out that the definitive fix lies in the build of tsection.dat. I was using
    build 45-beta, but the recommendation is to use either build 38 or build 44.
    A value related to this signal-POINTS distance was changed in 39-43 and
    evidently in 45-beta. I have a 44B build, and I had a 38 build, so I changed
    my tsection.dat file and for the most part this fixed the issue.

    It was also mentioned that whacking the Tab key helped also. The issue
    seems to not be an issue with ORTS so I am going to include a Global folder
    in the release of my route, with a build 38 file in it, and the recommendation
    that MSTS users use the build 38 file, or else use ORTS.

    J. H. Sullivan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->