Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1 Year Since the Last DLC Release

The MP feature from day 1 was what drew me in from others, SP modes away from R8 got way too lonely over time. I really enjoy the R8 MP world for felt closer to former working days, with things always changing from shift to shift. Sadly I'm more accustomed to Regional / Shortline ops. Seems every RR game has something built around BNSF / UPRR / Mid / Lower CA for the most part, which, no matter how great R8 is, grew tiring. NY more to my enjoyment, sadly believe many stay away from its use, due to another costly purchase right out of the box. Thus, many MP servers fell along the wayside. Fla again another costly purchase beyond the base rt. somewhat sealed its fate.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ...... it does look as if the emphasis continues to be on multiplayer,
    Yeah, they make no qualms about that.

While an active MP participant, most of my time is spent in SP. Using multiple monitors and the external dispatch programs, it's easier self-dispatching, but the ability to set automatic AI routes and utilizing 'saved scenarios' would greatly enhance the experience. The goal to achieve smooth play in MP accommodating various hardware configurations world wide should be good news for those who can't afford frequent equipment upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRY View Post
    . Seems every RR game has something built around BNSF / UPRR / Mid / Lower CA for the most part, which, no matter how great R8 is, grew tiring. NY more to my enjoyment, sadly believe many stay away from its use, due to another costly purchase right out of the box. Thus, many MP servers fell along the wayside. Fla again another costly purchase beyond the base rt. somewhat sealed its fate.
    I stayed away from NY for a number of reasons:
    -Not as popular in terms of servers so fewer people to drive with/servers to even join (self fulfilling prophecy)
    -The amount of purchases - not just the routes but rolling stock so you don’t have Run8 Railroad locos pulling nothing but dirty white boxcars around. Plus, most will not have any appearances on the West Coast.
    -Not that bothered by graphics but felt the engine they use suits deserts better than trees.
    -Personally not interested in the location, which even I can’t explain given how close it is to me geographically vs California!

I do sort of regret not having given it a try now.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Why lock a thread which is 99% okay?
    Just delete those posts which are not acceptable.
    Simple.
    It will stay unlocked no worries but no need for drama.
    Work Safe play hard

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    I stayed away from NY for a number of reasons:.....
    I don't own the Mohawk package but I did buy the Florida route.....and rarely play it.

I love the Bakersfield, San Bernadino, Cajon and Tehachapi packs plus the branch-lines.
    But I'd love to see a green, mountainous route, just as a change!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I'm really hoping V3 gives us a green mountainous route, something like the D&RGW out of Denver up through the Moffat Tunnel.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I don't own the Mohawk package but I did buy the Florida route.....and rarely play it.

I love the Bakersfield, San Bernadino, Cajon and Tehachapi packs plus the branch-lines.
    But I'd love to see a green, mountainous route, just as a change!
    Tehachapi is mountainous. Run8 offers a winter texture, or, did, that provided green.

I enjoy NY for lots of industries thru-out the entire route, lots of possibilities.
    Best of all, something pretty much all the other sims don't offer. Everyone offers some form of CA.
    I do believe many missing an golden opportunity alongside CA. Cost for each outside base route, no matter the location NY/Fla,
    that indeed, can be an issue for many. Funds don't grow on trees.

I must admit I offered a NY server/forums for those that wished to give NY a try, never any word as I advised, thus never got off the ground. FTRS (Smiley) from New Zealand still has his NY server/forums up 24/7. sadly again, no one visits, thus, he & I both go it alone there, which, these days finds both of us spending less & less time there. Everything remains inplace, operating daily, just needs the crews/employees to bring to life.

Same sort of route killing took place with various Fla servers.

I'll admit often during my R8 Fla days, felt with the team hanging hat at The Depot most/many days, believe many felt/feel that be the first place any word of further development/releases would be public, outside of main site, thus, the masses remain there. Same sort of thing appeared to happen when R8 had its so called official server/forums in its infancy. Myself, believe DP took the place of R8 server/forums. with rebrand if you will. Good/Bad/Indifferent. With so few options left, support all, what's left of any sense of community.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ...something like the D&RGW out of Denver up through the Moffat Tunnel.
    Now that would be nice.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I think Bruce and I are yearning for pine clad slopes with snow clad granite peaks along with rolling agricultural fields filled with crops, cattle and sheep in the lowlands. The winter texture on the Tehachapi bit does relieve the monotony a bit, but expires once you descend into Mojave. The San Bernardino sub seems a bit greener, but as per the famous saying only because the sprinklers are turned on, if they went off the terrain would all revert to desert!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRY View Post
    Tehachapi is mountainous. Run8 offers a winter texture, or, did, that provided green.

I enjoy NY for lots of industries thru-out the entire route, lots of possibilities.
    Best of all, something pretty much all the other sims don't offer. Everyone offers some form of CA.
    I do believe many missing an golden opportunity alongside CA. Cost for each outside base route, no matter the location NY/Fla,
    that indeed, can be an issue for many. Funds don't grow on trees.

I must admit I offered a NY server/forums for those that wished to give NY a try, never any word as I advised, thus never got off the ground. FTRS (Smiley) from New Zealand still has his NY server/forums up 24/7. sadly again, no one visits, thus, he & I both go it alone there, which, these days finds both of us spending less & less time there. Everything remains inplace, operating daily, just needs the crews/employees to bring to life.

Same sort of route killing took place with various Fla servers.

I'll admit often during my R8 Fla days, felt with the team hanging hat at The Depot most/many days, believe many felt/feel that be the first place any word of further development/releases would be public, outside of main site, thus, the masses remain there. Same sort of thing appeared to happen when R8 had its so called official server/forums in its infancy. Myself, believe DP took the place of R8 server/forums. with rebrand if you will. Good/Bad/Indifferent. With so few options left, support all, what's left of any sense of community.
    I find Scott there are times no one is running the Florida routes then it seems everyone is at The Depot. Seems like hit and miss the same with MoSel. I think the biggest draw is the OC that has been created over there is the draw.
    Work Safe play hard