Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Newbie Reference

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    the Run8 routes are 40 dollars EACH plus the base game and other accessories, it's a big investment, especially, if you don't get along on with it after trying it out, you cannot get a refund, unfortunately, just be aware of the costs with all of these simulators, they soon mount up if you are not careful and you only have a small budget to spend.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Steve ex-railwayman,
    Thank you. While shopping Run8 I noticed the same. In fact, the a-la-carte approach to build a Run8 train set was the main reason I backed off from the purchase. I don't know yet whether that sales approach will become a show stopper, only that I will have to look at it more closely before I'm comfortable with it, for sure.

About Run8 being US oriented, I missed that. Admittedly I was not focused on where their routes were, only that they had some :-) I will keep that in mind as I continue my quest. I definitely am coming over to drive your trains !!

TSW2, as my first experience did get me spoiled a bit regarding scenery. I saw some YooToob films posted by a Run8 enthusiast and honestly the scenery looked like cartoons. In fairness, might that be an artifact of how the video was created, or possibly some optimization or compression from YooToob - could be. In the end, given a choice between great working realistic train controls and scenery, I would (with a tiny pinch of disappointment) choose how well the program works over the scenery.

Anecdotal: TSW2's software is heavily focused on being "social." I'm not anti-social. But when I am focused on some experiment, trying to unravel a technical nuance that was never even mentioned in the manual but will stop the game if you get it wrong - and I get a pop-up in the user interface wanting to know if I would like to turn on my networks and log in to their keystroke tracking site and make some new friends .... I'm going shopping. This forum is a great place to meet people, at a time when I am focused on meeting people, and not tying to drive a train. -End of Rant-

--John

Quote Originally Posted by ht-57 View Post
    which is fine by me as that's my thing operations.
    Operations. I can only imagine what that means in this context. If it is what I think it is, I will be very interested in that too..
    I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    I've worked a lot of customer servicey jobs, and one key to doing that well is understanding your customer's needs.
    It has been a long time since I talked to a customer servicey person. People who sell software are trying hard to convince every business in the world they must have a customer servicey software program operating their telephones and support web sites.
    I might recommend switching professions, possibly something like driving a train !! No wait, can't do that. People who sell software are trying to convince the earth's population that software programs should fly planes, drive cars, and drive trains.
    Hmmm.

Best that we all just plan on being hill side thinkers! There are some great hills to sit on and think. . I seen 'em along the railways.

I'm no way ready for multi-player. I can't yet even imagine what multiple people would do in a scenario.
    I mean, can I go up and sit on top of a box car and just watch stuff whiz by? I did that when I was a kid. (in real life, not a computer program)
    And I didn't wear a helmet !

Peace !

--John

Yes, you can indeed sit and watch if you wish. I'd often see players appear by the tracks up ahead and wave to me as I drove, I'd honk the horn for them.

Usually in a multiplayer session:
    -You have at least one person dispatching: setting routes for trains, answering calls from other players who want to leave yards or spawn a new train, etc.
    -People driving along the main line.
    -People in the yard pushing trains from the receiving yard over the hump and then taking the locomotives to the service area for servicing and storage.
    -People in the hump yard collecting those cars and assembling them in the departure yards for their onward journey (and taking locomotives from the storage tracks to do this).

This is why I found it so compelling - there's so much to be done to keep things moving. If you don't stay on top of the yard movements, the tracks fill up and more trains arrive from off the map and have nowhere to go, for example.

I would love to be a train driver, but unless I am willing to relocate my family to Dog River, SK, it's not likely to happen.

Dog River (Rouleau) is quite the village. The nearest city is Moose Jaw. ( Yes MJ it is a real place up the road). ...(giggles).
    Rory

@Rebrecs,
    "Operations. I can only imagine what that means in this contex"
    Meaning operating a railroad- You can do whatever part of it that you like (within the North American Freight/some passenger as-well RR)
    From Driving/conductor -long run manifest/unit train -to humping- trimming bowl- building blocking - doing local p/u set outs
    dispatching etc
    Whatever your in the mood to do. Or rather whatever Operation your into simulating
    054.jpg
    If you look at pic- I have two of nine separate subdivisions (they all connect together) that I'm dispatching at that moment, as I'm en route from Barstow yard to Victorville yard with a manifest bound for the local industries in that area

Quote Originally Posted by ht-57 View Post
    @Rebrecs,
    "Operations. I can only imagine what that means in this contex"
    Meaning operating a railroad- You can do whatever part of it that you like (within the North American Freight/some passenger as-well RR)
    From Driving/conductor -long run manifest/unit train -to humping- trimming bowl- building blocking - doing local p/u set outs
    dispatching etc
    Whatever your in the mood to do. Or rather whatever Operation your into simulating
    054.jpg
    If you look at pic- I have two of nine separate subdivisions (they all connect together) that I'm dispatching at that moment, as I'm en route from Barstow yard to Victorville yard with a manifest bound for the local industries in that area
    Very cool !! thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    Yes, you can indeed sit and watch if you wish. I'd often see players appear by the tracks up ahead and wave to me as I drove, I'd honk the horn for them.

Usually in a multiplayer session:
    -You have at least one person dispatching: setting routes for trains, answering calls from other players who want to leave yards or spawn a new train, etc.
    -People driving along the main line.
    -People in the yard pushing trains from the receiving yard over the hump and then taking the locomotives to the service area for servicing and storage.
    -People in the hump yard collecting those cars and assembling them in the departure yards for their onward journey (and taking locomotives from the storage tracks to do this).
    That is quite an endorsement. I will let you know when I have it running.