Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DAR Kentville gets a Turntable

Default DAR Kentville gets a Turntable

Finally got the Kentville turntable working in Open Rails today. As I've been trying to get it to work over the last week and a half I've noticed some of the values changing at different time. Just changed them back and went on. It wasn't until today that I stumbled upon one that I'd not noticed before and have no idea how long it's been the cause of the turntable not working for me.

I'd like to thank some of the people who've helped me. Paul Gorski for checking to see if he could get the table to work on one of his test routes, he could so I knew the problem was at my end. Paul, Johann Riffel, and "Randy SW MO" all suggested things to try that were of great help.

Now that I saved another copy of the route with a working turntable, I have to find out how to change the indexing from 10 to 8 degrees!

Paul :-)

This will be a fun feature to see in the new DAR Paul!
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Hi Nick,

Should come in handy for the steam engines.

Hello Paul, just stopping by after not messing with MSTS since about 2004. Accidentally found out about your project yesterday and today I installed MSTS/OR and a ton of rolling stock and power and I wanted to say thank you for this route, I’ve been waiting for NS content for close to 20 years hehe. Amazing job and thanks again.

Still working on the steam version, it's going to have to be released by subdivision and then updates after that. When you paint tiles the terrtex files get huge.

The DARv3 is the current version, goes all the way from Yarmouth to Bedford in the mid-1970s.

V3 is what I have been running, glad to hear I’m up to date. I had never investigated the WHRR in person beyond Windsor Jct or (from the 101) Windsor itself so it’s fascinating seeing the entirety of their ROW. Any plans to extend the Bedford Sub to Fairview/Rockingham at some point?

I'm about a hundred feet west of a curve that if I add that, you should be able to see the entire Halifax Harbor, which would take a year to add both Halifax and Dartmouth... so that's why I stopped where I did! I'm working on the Kingsport and Weston Sub right now and I'm thinking it's time to add the Truro Sub next.

Heh oh yeah I can tell it’s a ton of work just seeing how much detail is in the existing portions. Can’t imagine adding Burnside/Dartmouth/HOT etc etc. I used to stay in a hotel in Middleton occasionally in the 80s as a child, had tracks behind it so I’ll have to check that out next. So much nostalgia in this route.

I have laid the tracks all the way into Halifax station and the Dartmouth Sub to the Autoport. The problem is that both the Dartmouth yard and the Halifax waterfront including the MacDonald Bridge all end up on the same tile and you can only have about 1500 objects on the same tile. You'd eat that up pretty quickly. Likewise, there are 19 small yards serving the dockyard around the Halifax station, each yard has four short tracks, plus all the tracks connecting those yards that eventually go to the mainline. The tracks on that one tile ran about 760 pieces, so you've used up half your allowed object count without a single road, building, switchstand or bumper.

Could you create some kind of "backdrop" like the model railroaders do for that curve?

You know I have almost 50 years around trains and I've never seen a moving turntable. I've seen plenty of turntables (Bellows Falls, Burlington, Newport, Saint Johnsbury, Montpelier, White River Junction, West Lebanon, and far beyond. Just never one actually doing it's job.

Christopher