Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh install opens to black screen, then shuts down

Default Fresh install opens to black screen, then shuts down

Hello All

Sorry to trouble with what appears to have been a fairly popular issue, but I've tried all the solutions I've found on this site and others and still have no luck getting MSTS past the blackscreen at startup before it shuts back down.

Background info; I have a 10 year old HP Pavilion Slimline with a stock AMD Atheron Processer and recently swapped out NVidia Quadro FX380 card I had to install to support dual monitors as the GEForce stock version failed to function properly. The computer was also upgraded to Windows 10 for compatibility with work systems. Following the upgrade MSTS ran OK but had some monitor alignment issues I couldn't figure out how to resolve, so I left the issue alone and moved away from regular use for about 6 months.

I just got back into running the sim again and whenever I start it, the sim loads up to the black screen which would usually precede the mpeg video, hangs there and then drops back to desktop. No error message, no errors logged on the computer error report. Strangely enough, the Editor software works without a hitch. All the routes are in there and working "as normal", but I couldn't get to them via the sim.

I decided since my last install had some buggy issues with sounds and texturs and soforth to do a clean reinstall from the start and after following the msts.steam4me tutorial to the letter including all updates/upgrades I'm still having the same problem. I dumbed down the resolution on the monitor to MSTS levels and below, am running everything as an Administrator, deleted the start.mpeg and nothing seems to do the trick.

So before I pull the plug one last time on the old sim, and frankly this not-gracefully-aging desktop, I figured I'd ask to see if there was any recent insight to this issue or how to resolve it. Thanks in advance!

I'm not really technically minded but my suggestion would be for you to try running MSTS thru Open Rails.
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Quote Originally Posted by niknak View Post
    I'm not really technically minded but my suggestion would be for you to try running MSTS thru Open Rails.
    To be pedantically correct...MSTS does not run through Open Rails They are two separate and distinct execute files...Open Rails is backward compatible with legacy trainset equipment, routes, built for MSTS and with MSTS files...con, act, pat, eng, wag etc etc.

Apologies if you merely typographically misspoke...so to speak.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Apology typographically accepted Gerry...
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Hm, so it would seem that MSTS as a platform is a no go anymore. Very unfortunate but I guess all good things must come to an end.

While the days of MSTS are grinding to an end OpenRails/TSRE has picked up the ball and made a freaking touchdown.

Once you try Open Rails you will never go back. It is much better than the original MSTS.

Jon

Open Rails is a far better experience.

If you're set on running MSTS, having issues on launch might be related to your Trains\Trainset and Trains\Consists folder. It reads this on start, and can crash to the desktop when there are too many, even if it seemed to be stable earlier, or perhaps it's encountering some unknown ORTS-only parameters...

Easy test for that is to create backup copies of your Trainset and Consists folders, and thin the originals out to a bare minimum.

How'd I get My copy of MSTS to work on W10 ( before I'd took it off in favor of ORTS ) was to first, right-click & Run As Admin. THEN head down to where it'd said, "Properties". Here, you'd click Compatibility. Because certain W10 ( Graphic Card problem ? ) installs doesn't like a certain file type needed to run the launch,..you "tone-down" the screen res. to the default, ( 512x512? ). This helped my problem without needing to install the default needed file Manually.

If work needs forced you to go to a Win 10 upgrade, that PC looks like fairly low level hardware to even bother with any OS upgrade. Shoulda bought a new box and gotten the whole slate of current features (UEFI, PCIe v3, DDR5, M.2 SSD, etc)