Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transitioning to TSRE

Quote Originally Posted by jonpd View Post
    You can determine if terrain height mode is positive or negative by the HeightMap button. It will have a "+" next to it when in positive mode, "-" if negative. I agree the other options would be useful, especially stick to anything vs terrain. Also rotate mode - I am constantly accidentally rotating something that I intend to move. The reset rotation comes in handy here.

Jon
    Stick the crosshair to anything vs. stick to terrain? That's always been there - Shift-Q is the toggle. Or do you mean an indicator of it? It would be sort-of nice, but usually it's pretty obvious if you go over an object and the crosshair reacts to it.

As for inctication of translate vs. rotate, that wuould be very helpful

Shameless plug.... The curved platforms at the River Forest Metra Station is a big reason why I built WorldFileHacker.

Trying to make this platform in Sketchup or Blender would have been possible with a lot of trial and error, but when faced with a situation where you're ripping all the track out to match Google imagery, it would have been either a tradeoff of trying to keep the old track with its errors, or a total heartbreak and required starting over.

Instead, by matching platform pieces to track geometry? Priceless...

Re-aligning the track here took about an hour, including the time to build three new curved platforms that I didn't already have in the cupboard...

As I have not spent a lotta time with the track laying/route building portion of TSRE, (I've been building Activities using TSRE5), do you mean that the platform is a "terrain" form or something else??

Barry

The platforms are shapefiles which are created to match the axis of the corresponding track sections.

In the photo, the 2000r05d curve has a matching platform shape, the 0700r1d curve piece has its own matching platform shape, and so on.

On this route, I've got over 80 unique platform shapes... 27 are straights in 5-10m increments including 1/2/3 track variations, and the rest are curves. Most curves have a variation for the inside and outside of the curve.

I've done the same with rock berms and raised stone viaduct pieces...

WFH takes those and can detail a route in a matter of minutes vs. trying to place individual objects from a REF file.

Geez I really do need to take the time to sit down and learn WFH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Shameless plug.... The curved platforms at the River Forest Metra Station is a big reason why I built WorldFileHacker.

Trying to make this platform in Sketchup or Blender would have been possible with a lot of trial and error, but when faced with a situation where you're ripping all the track out to match Google imagery, it would have been either a tradeoff of trying to keep the old track with its errors, or a total heartbreak and required starting over.

Instead, by matching platform pieces to track geometry? Priceless...

Re-aligning the track here took about an hour, including the time to build three new curved platforms that I didn't already have in the cupboard...
    TSRE has similar functionality by using the copy position and rotation. I have used it extensively to place berms complementing track pieces

Granted, pieces need to be in the ref file first to work

Yep, it's useful to do one-off placements, but I still find it easier to have a default cross reference file and the app to insert the companion objects automatically.

You really only need to have 1 or 2 items in your REF file. Place something down as a placeholder, and use the edit name function to change to whatever shape file you really want.

Beware that TSRE appears to keep shapes in memory even after you delete them. If you make changes to a shape that's already been rendered, the changes won't show up until you close and reopen the editor.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Yep, it's useful to do one-off placements, but I still find it easier to have a default cross reference file and the app to insert the companion objects automatically.

You really only need to have 1 or 2 items in your REF file. Place something down as a placeholder, and use the edit name function to change to whatever shape file you really want.

Beware that TSRE appears to keep shapes in memory even after you delete them. If you make changes to a shape that's already been rendered, the changes won't show up until you close and reopen the editor.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Yup, that and also world files. No jumping 5 tiles away and back to see changes made in a w file via text editor

Quote Originally Posted by joe_star View Post
    Yup, that and also world files. No jumping 5 tiles away and back to see changes made in a w file via text editor
    Yep... I think I may have asked for Goku to consider a button to reload the W file...