Thread: Looking for a simple guide while using wonderful TSRE

Default Looking for a simple guide while using wonderful TSRE

Hey. I am a newbee at designing so please bear with me here.
    I have only been using MSTS since 2017, shortly after retiring. I had been struggling to learn some of the intricacies of Activity usage and creating them. I am trying to build a route and understand it to be a demanding proposal.
    I went ahead and used MSTS Route Editor to create a plot of Tiles and a very plain functional route. I moved up to TSRE and what a wonderful piece of software.

OK, here is my question. When you create a new route with TSRE, how much do you have to copy into the new route's folders after you save it?

I have been copying the folders;-Shapes, Textures, Terrtex, and 'route-name.ref' from a commercial route that I own. I also used Route Riter to create a Common folder in the main game. I think I am getting enough shape files to install anything I have needed so far.

Anything I create will be for my own use, as it will probably be butt-ugly, but functional.

I am unsure about what to do about the various xxx.dat files and the startup.ace files. Will TSRE create them only after I add them,(say a tree or a signal) to a route or do I have to import xxx.dat as soon a a route is created and saved.
    I haven't seen where this is spelled out specifically.

I am looking for a general purpose rule-of-thumb list that experienced route designers follow, to lessen some of my stumbling.
    Thanks for looking.

TSRE will create all of files and folders you need when you start a new route. The only thing you need to provide are the starting coordinates and a name.
    The beginning the shapes/textures folders and the .ref file won't have anything but a few items. Just enough to get started.
    You will have to add items from other routes and the file libraries located here, Elvas Tower and others.
    It's not a difficult process but it is time consuming. You'll want to have RouteRiter and shapeviewer installed.

There is an in progress guide here:

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...69#post1977769

There's also a 'Tips and Tricks' thread in the TSRE section of the forum.

As to the files needed:

Only the loading screen images is used at this time by OR.

Carspawn/speedpost/signal files are required for a route to work, but you don't need to set them up for what you want until you plan to install them in the route. I have a route started where none of those are even started on yet, but hundreds of miles of track are in.

As Randy said, it's not hard, it just takes forever. Once you know the rules, it's a piece of cake.

And remember, if you're not sure of something, ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question here...except, of course, "What time is it?"
    Last edited by ebnertra000; 12-16-2020 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Final note added

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    There's no such thing as a stupid question here...except, of course, "What time is it?"
    I have to disagree here, as I dont want to be late for my train's departure....lol...

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    There is an in progress guide here:

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...69#post1977769
    Thanks for the link. I was looking all over for this document.

Fred