Thread: Question on Static Detail Levels

Default Question on Static Detail Levels

Static detail level was a Microsoft idea to reduce object loading 20 years ago, and that concept has been carried forward via the density setting, with a value range of 1-10.

That field has also been borrowed by Catmaster and World File Hacker for the assignment of companion shapes, and possibly by other apps as well.

For example, in Catmaster, anything with a SDL of 1 might receive catenary and wire, while a 2 would be trolley poles and wires.

In WFH, it's configurable to whatever the builder wants to use. For my routes, track sections with a SDL of 0 get a rock berm, 2 gets a bridge, 4 gets a viaduct, 5 could get either a right handed station platform or a trestle support depending on the piece, while 6 gets a left handed station platform.

I'm running into a situation where combinations of shapes might be wanted, but there aren't enough number values to accomplish this, e.g. a station platform on a viaduct with lights...

To help accommodate that, I'd like to propose allowing values higher than 10.

Between Monogame and overall improvements in GPU/memory, I really don't think too many people are using the option to reduce world object density.

Two questions:

1) Can anyone think of a reason not to allow values higher than 10?

2) Specifically to Goku, could you support this in TSRE as an override setting? TSRE currently defaults values over 10 to 10 when it writes to a W file.

(if you've seen this in Elvas, no need to comment again unless you want to)

There is a new version of TSRE at koniec.org. I did forget to commit these changes long time ago.
    Use:
    TsreMaxStaticDetailLevel ( 10 )
    In your .trk file. Replace 10 with the number you want.

Thanks, Goku. Glad to see you're OK.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I tried in both 7.003 and 7.004.... Both have potentially bad impact.

I've set TsreMaxStaticDetailLevel ( 99 ) in the TRK file.

On a edit/save, I can enter a number higher than 10, but the value always reverts back to 10 when I reselect the object.

The serious error is if you open a file where a higher SDL is set for an object, even if you don't modify it.

When you save that W file, TSRE deletes objects with SDL's > 10 from the W file.

I'll stick with 7.002 for the time being.

If you're no longer planning to make updates, that's understandable.

If it turns out you needed a long break and are ready to jump back into making changes, I'd be happy to continue testing on this.

Thank you for testing.
    I did forget about tr_watermark sorting.
    You can use new TSRE version, just dont use TRK max static level property.

Try version .7.005

Seems to be working fine now in v7.012.

Only anomaly I've seen so far is a signal and a static with the same UID.