Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Run8 - Small Regions and Smart SDK to add to revenue streams

I've never understood the lack of a SDK... it's why we have two communities with people who have spent 15-20 years on the same basic platform. Sure, I get the business aspect, but having the ability to create niche content keeps people engaged...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I think the fear of the SDK was supporting it. Which is why you go MSTS route and have it unsupported.

I understand the business aspect as well. But hopefully the path to all of that has been suggested or considered. That is all we can do.

Thanks

Sean

You could always try to reverse engineer things like the OpenRails team did....

Failing that, I guess you'll have to wait for the proprietary stuff.
    Last edited by eolesen; 12-23-2020 at 02:28 PM.

I'm already on their naughty list, I wouldn't want legal issues I'm not sure how OR did it, and I know some people were doing stuff with Run V1 that was fairly interesting. But having a version that is still sold or supported wouldn't count as vaporware (thought I've heard the term used in my presence by at least one person). Abandonware falls on another bottle of wax. I'm not sure if MSTS was a tougher nut to crack or Run8. But I'll probably pass. I can't even seem to program a working GUI let alone machine code.

Thanks

Sean

I am glad all of you enjoy our simulator. We hope to bring you more stuff soon. In the mean time we enjoy reading all of your comments here. Thank you. A route developer
    sparkplug

Agreed Sean, any attempt to open up Run 8 would at best lead to you being blocked (I presume it still does random phone home checks when the programme starts) or disallowed from purchasing further content. At worst you could be done for copyright infringement.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    You could always try to reverse engineer things like the OpenRails team did....

Failing that, I guess you'll have to wait for the proprietary stuff.
    That leads to piracy.
    Work Safe play hard

If anyone remembers Chris Sawyer's Locomotion, there was a lot of push for the OpenTTD/TTDPatch bunch to open it up and fix the many shortcomings. They refused for the same reason, that tinkering with the proprietary code was illegal and against the EULA, and would not happen.

You mentioned piracy Dale, I have to admit thought I was never a pirate once upon a time with a Commodore 64 pirated games were the norm. Prices for most games oddly enough were with inflation very expensive in comparison to today. It was also pretty easy back then to copy and share stuff without anyone really knowing. We live in a different world, and I guess I'm just a little bit older now. There is so much good quality free stuff out there.

Yet we are entering a time now where it's going to be difficult for anyone to make money, that includes developers. I've probably known this for 20 years now. Nobody I knows pirates stuff. The closest I've seen people do is watch copyrighted telecasts on YouTube. Trust me the big guys with the networks can handle it. Software developers at least in this realm can not afford pirating, and no matter what I would like doesn't justify it. Nor should it justify to anyone else.

Learn to code boys and girls, The train simulator community could use some fresh people developing. I just don't have the patience

Thanks

Sean

My thoughts on piracy are somewhat arrr rated.....
    Dell desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GT710 2GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver.