Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine will not show up

Default Engine will not show up

Hello all, I have installed the South Ozark Lines #23 Prairie from the file library, and created a corresponding .con file with TSRE5, but for some reason, the engine still does not appear in-game. I've checked the .con file myself to see if there were any errors, but it seemed to look just fine. If anyone asks, I did put everything in the correct folders, the .con file was placed in the "CONSISTS" folder and the engine itself was placed in "TRAINSET". I'm stumped, so if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Which simulator? MSTS or Open Rails? If it's OR please check the "OpenRailsLog.txt" file found ( by default ) on the desktop. It should provide some information if the engine is missing in the simulator. Check to see if the engine file is complete with a description, lack of a description will cause the engine to not appear in OR. There are other things...so check the log .

If you're using the MSTS simulator...have to wait for someone with MSTS experience to see the thread...or you can check the Steam 4ME site and the troubleshooting tips.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

The simulator I’m using is MSTS.

What is the path to your MSTS install root folder? As in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator or C:\1MSTS?

FYI If the ENG file for the loco has a Name line, MSTS will list the loco by the contents of the Name line. It the ENG file has no Name line, it will list the loco by the filename of the ENG file.
    Charles

The path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator.

Quote Originally Posted by TrainGuy58 View Post
    The path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator.
    Snake bit by Windows Security. Windows is trying to "protect" you by not allowing files to be saved to C:\Program Files (x86) or to :\Program Files. Remember MSTS was written 20 years ago. You should NEVER install to C:\Program Files (x86).

See Installing MSTS on Win7 with 32 or 64 bits OS. (trainsim.com)
    Goto http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/i...g_msts_w7.html
    and print out the instructions and check off each step and reinstall MSTS.
    Then reinstall any addons you may have added. If you have installed a LOT of addons then copy your Train Simulator folder to a temp location and then copy it over your new install after completing all the steam4me instructions.

Also you will need to recreate the consist(s) files.
    Charles

So would it work if I just completely copy pasted all the files over to my Documents directory?

Hi TrainGuy58,
    If you used ConBuilder v2.4.9 (available from the library), there is a bug in it which puts the incorrect information in the Consist file.

I suggest you open the consist file, in something like NotePad or ConText.

If the EngineData line values are : PRAIRIE262 Prairie262 change it to Prairie262 Prairie262

If you've used the other loco, make a similar change :

clPRAIRIE262 Prairie262 change it to clPrairie262 Prairie262

Note, also, that the Name entry at the end of the clPrairie262.eng file to too long for MSTS to display with the result that both show as the same, and only one appears in the list :

Change "SOL Prairie #23 Class Lights" to "SOL Prairie #23 Lights"

... and, PLEASE, follow Charles' advice regarding the location for your MSTS installation. I don't believe this was the cause of your inability to 'see' the loco in MSTS, but it will save you a great deal of trouble in future!!

Cheers,
    Ged

EDIT : No. mate, DO NOT use your Documents directory!!
    Last edited by slipperman; 12-21-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks for all your help guys, it finally works in the game now! Who knew a small little Prairie locomotive could cause me so much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi TrainGuy58,
    If you used ConBuilder v2.4.9 (available from the library), there is a bug in it which puts the incorrect information in the Consist file.

I suggest you open the consist file, in something like NotePad or ConText.

If the EngineData line values are : PRAIRIE262 Prairie262 change it to Prairie262 Prairie262

If you've used the other loco, make a similar change :

clPRAIRIE262 Prairie262 change it to clPrairie262 Prairie262

Note, also, that the Name entry at the end of the clPrairie262.eng file to too long for MSTS to display with the result that both show as the same, and only one appears in the list :

Change "SOL Prairie #23 Class Lights" to "SOL Prairie #23 Lights"

... and, PLEASE, follow Charles' advice regarding the location for your MSTS installation. I don't believe this was the cause of your inability to 'see' the loco in MSTS, but it will save you a great deal of trouble in future!!

Cheers,
    Ged

EDIT : No. mate, DO NOT use your Documents directory!!
    Ged,

It is not a "bug" as you describe. The problem is caused by two of the three ENG files having case differences between their filenames and their Wagon and Engine lines.

#Prairie262.eng is correct it has "Wagon ( #Prairie262" and "Engine ( #Prairie262" for its Wagon and Engine Lines.

clPRAIRIE262.ENG has "Wagon ( clPrairie262" and "Engine ( clPrairie262" Which does not match the case of the filename.

PRAIRIE262.ENG has "Wagon ( Prairie262" and "Engine ( Prairie262" Which does not match the case of the filename.

The easiest solution is to change the filename to match the Wagon and Engine lines.
    That is change clPRAIRIE262.ENG to clPrairie262.ENG and PRAIRIE262.ENG to Prairie262.ENG.

BTW Using ConBuilder's item tester on this group of ENGs would have resulted in two syntax errors.
    Charles