Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steam Sale Now On!

I am only interested in pre-privatisation UK routes, really Vern.

German addons do nothing for me buddy.

Even the one route that does interest me, is too short.

I suppose as it is such a niche subject for gaming. There is never going to be any developer that does the job properly.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    I suppose as it is such a niche subject for gaming. There is never going to be any developer that does the job properly.
    Certainly not if they try to do everything. Diesel Railcar focuses on a specific time period and trains and locations, and succeeds. Likewise, the old Densha de GO titles focused on one country and time period, and got it right.*

I think this is probably why American Truck, Euro Truck and OMSI2 are good at what they do, too. DTG unfortunately has gone for a populist approach and seems to encourage all the people to shriek in their forums that the NEED to do train X in country Y next, and so tries to offer a product somewhat tailored to appease this. Without bottomless resources, they can never make the trains, the operating rules, and the routes all completely comprehensive - and it shows in the end result. I almost wish they'd focus on just making a handful of routes and making them super-detailed: all the trains that run, all the operations that need to be done, so much to do over a comparatively small stretch of track, vs the dated and empty GWE route.

*Yes, it was an arcade game, but it still presented a package that looked, sounded and felt right.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    I almost wish they'd focus on just making a handful of routes and making them super-detailed: all the trains that run, all the operations that need to be done, so much to do over a comparatively small stretch of track, vs the dated and empty GWE route.
    If they split the teams up into groups they can achieve this, however, it would mean more work in less time and the console players would get very bored very quickly, like small children often do. On the other forum everyone is waiting for the latest route from London to Faversham with a multicoloured electric multiple unit and they can drive it at 250 kmh and get from a-b in 12 minutes and they get all excited by that, and that is what sells and what DTG keep building, so, let them get on with it, proper railsim fans have TS2021 to keep us amused.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

I know, they have decided to pursue the demographic of grasping adolescents who play “live service” games and are used to a constant trickle of new content which they voracious consume as quickly as possible (which is fine, for those games, as there’s always more on the way). You see these same people run up against a brick wall and become aggravated because Euro and American Truck Simulator release “only” two map DLC per year, which these folks want to 100% explore within a week of release.

London-Faversham was a TS20XX route originally... looking at the roadmap, it’s not the only one being remade for TSW, not by a long shot...

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    proper railsim fans have TS2021 to keep us amused.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Or Run 8, especially since (just about) figuring out how industries and car forwarding works!
    Vern.