Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: CNW Chicago Division Progress - 2021

Just for fun, I decided it was time to dive into Blender, and Horizontal E's were my first attempt... The reasoning was simple -- I discovered that I needed a fourth signal head for a couple crossovers, and I'd never gotten that far in GMax.

After the first 12 hours of failing to figure out basic texturing of a plain cube, I kept asking myself why I was doing this, but finally managed to export the cube with four sides and a roof texture. 8 hours later, I had something close enough in size to my previous GMax created E type signals.

Another hour or so was wasted working out the lighting in the signal scripts. For whatever reason, tweaking the light positions using my GMax settings didn't work. It appears that Gmax set the axis from each subobject (HEAD1, HEAD2, etc) off the sub-object, where Blender appears to have kept the 0/0/0 location for the viewport grid. Once I figured that mess out, it was somewhat smooth sailing. Downside to that difference is I had to create new SignalType declarations in the SigCfg, but that's relatively minor..

There's still some work to do on the light hoods -- right now they look like an oversize Lego, and I need to experiment more to get the shark-nose appearance, but that's for another day... Fortunately they're isolated as a sub-object and adjusting the tubes shouldn't mess with my signal script.

For those who use Blender already... this is what I landed on for a hierarchy, and where I first shot myself in the foot. All of the normals I'd added to the mesh were in one object, which caused problem after problem when I was trying to re-scale things and move parts around, so I had to selectively duplicate items, and reset the parent object. Hopefully that's just a learning curve item for the first time around...

At some point I'll try an animation and maybe some static objects. This was traumatic enough for one day which turned into two...
    Last edited by eolesen; 03-30-2021 at 10:50 AM.

If you still have Gmax, I can upgrade my Type Es to my current standard and send you the gmax file for them

Thanks, that might be interesting to see. I'm working by intuition, so it would be nice to see how close I came on the dimensions if you did yours from drawings.

I do still have GMax, but haven't used it since 2013... some of my source files are missing, including the E's, so it was a foregone conclusion I'd have to recreate them somehow.

Learning Blender is something I planned to do over a year ago but never quite found the motivation. The need for the fourth head forced the issue and I know there are going to be other situations where I need hierarchy or animation support and can't rely on Sketchup.

Eric,
    This is great to see.. I'll be moving back to the Chicago area from Florida (yes I know, I'm insane) Palatine, as a matter of fact. If you need any help let me know.
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--

Welcome back... we'll need to get together sometime.

I was surprised when looking at the route in TSRE to not see any tracks. Then I remembered reading that this route uses ScaleRail and ScaleRoads. It may help to mention this either in the website or instructions.txt file.

http://www.digitalrails.com/2021/02/...ago-route.html

http://www.3dtrains.com/forums/index...lic-beta-v177/

When installing ScaleRail you are asked to choose among Standard or Modern Track Profiles. For this route does this choice matter?

Quote Originally Posted by alexhill View Post
    I was surprised when looking at the route in TSRE to not see any tracks. Then I remembered reading that this route uses ScaleRail and ScaleRoads. It may help to mention this either in the website or instructions.txt file.

http://www.digitalrails.com/2021/02/...ago-route.html

http://www.3dtrains.com/forums/index...lic-beta-v177/

When installing ScaleRail you are asked to choose among Standard or Modern Track Profiles. For this route does this choice matter?
    Standard as the modern profile has concrete ties. This route is set prior to concrete ties being widely adopted in the US. Actually not sure they were even a thing here at all at that time period
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--

I installed the standard profile, thanks.

After fixing some problems in the track database this route runs in MSTS.

CNW Harvard running in MSTS.JPG

Duly noted.

The Route Notes document does state that Scalerail is a dependency, and also that the textures are already included in the route folder.
    Last edited by eolesen; 04-06-2021 at 02:57 PM.

I was surprised when looking at the route in TSRE to not see any tracks.
    Huh. I'm surprised to not see an Alex Hill on my customer list, which means you either stole the route, or you're using a fake name to get around your ban from using your real name...

After all these years, you really think we forgot about all you've done, Jeff?