Thread: What is coming next------

Cool What is coming next------

Colleagues,

Some of you have expressed desire for the L&N Mainline, Louisville to Nashville,
    and so that will be the next route to start. I have it digitized, and I have a good
    rendering of Nashville Terminal done already except that I want to add the main
    structures to it. I won't be detailing Nashville other than with some basic,
    generic structures, although if someone wants to be a Masochist, they might take
    on the Nashville Station with the Train Shed, and the Louisville Station. Both
    had similar Train Sheds which no longer exist, but the main buildings of both have
    been repurposed. I'll do the Nashville terminal first and probably release that as
    a separate item, or put It in the "unfinished" category. It will also be used for
    1, possibly 2, other subdivisions.

I am also finishing up the track for the Eastern KY Sub. (CSX) or Division (L&N)
    and in doing that, I am including the two original routes into the coal fields of
    Eastern KY. The "Riney B" or Richmond, Irvine, Nicholasville & Beattyville was
    part of the original route and it extended east to Beattyville, but rickety
    structures, sharp curves, & heavy grades west of Irvine doomed it early. Even
    so part of it's mainline is in use today between Irvine & Beattyville. The
    Lexington & Eastern had a path from Winchester, KY to Jackson Ky. All of it
    was gone by 1946 except that parts of it are still in use. This line was also
    the construction entity that extended it's line east from Jackson, KY in 1912
    to eventually reach McRoberts, the eastern extent of the division. The division
    was shortened back to Neon Yard in 1950, more recently to Blackey where
    the Rockhouse extension offers a connection to the C&O Big Sandy Sub. which
    I also have done the track for - so far. Lastly, I'll include a separate railroad,
    the O&K, "Ohio & Kentucky" which never got to Ohio. It was essentially a
    logging road and also served several coal mines of "canel coal" a very soft
    variety with a high oil content that was used to make gas & for home heating.
    With all these lines, the idea is that activity creators can set up routes for
    different eras, using the appropriate routings. The EK will have many coal
    mines, both large & small operations.

The Louisville-Nashville line, historically the Main Stem, 1st & 2nd subdivisions,
    is essentially a bridge route. There is one branch, the Glasgow RR. The L&N
    furnished motive power and operating personnel but the line was owned by
    the city of Glasgow. A 3rd subdivision branched off at Memphis Jct. which is
    now a R.J. Corman operation. The Lebanon Branch swung off to the east at
    Lebanon Jct. but it is now abandoned except for a few miles used by the
    Kentucky Railway Museum. The Bardstown Branch is a R. J. Corman
    operation. Lastly, another branch out of Gallatin, TN serves a TVA steam
    plant that may already be history.

J. H. Sullivan

Colleagues,

I have completed sufficient lines in Louisville, with the L&N Strawberry (or Osbourne-CSX) yard
    and a facility in west Louisville on the Paducah & Louisville that services a large grain elevator.
    P&L is the old IC line into Louisville. I have included the Southern from Floyd St. where it
    crossed the L&N "Shortline" to Cincinnati, as well as the K&IT connection to the L&N which was
    used by the Monon in days of old. There was a passenger line from near Union Station, at
    which end there was the "A Street" wye but I can find no track of it on Google Earth. Many
    Industry tracks, or at least their turnouts off main tracks are included. This will be one end
    of the L&N MainStem (or CSX Mainline Sub.)

Nashville is the other. So in a few weeks, I will release the Louisville Terminal and the
    Nashville Terminal as tracks only plus Nashville will have at least two major bridges. These
    will go into the UNFINISHED category so experienced route creators can use them. As
    information, I will use Louisville in only one route, but will use Nashville in at least two,
    perhaps 3 routes. If anyone wants to use Louisville for anything other than to Nashville,
    have at it. Lines to Memphis, Birmingham, and perhaps Evansville can be done with the
    Nashville Terminal, which also includes a little Nashville & Eastern (old TN Central). I
    plan to do Nashville to Chattanooga, and maybe Nashville to Evansville.

J. H. Sullivan

I Decided that "tracks only" would not be sufficient so I am working on the Nashville
    Terminal and are adding all roads that intersect tracks by whatever method. Since
    Nashville is on several hill, there are dozens of under pass situation, equally as
    many over pass situation and many crossings at grade. Depending on the era to
    be simmed, there are 3 or 2 railroads involved. Prior to 1957 you would have the
    L&N, NC&StL, and Tennessee Central. In the present era you would have CSX and
    Nashville & Eastern, also Nashville & Ashland City but it is part of the N&E.

I plan to go through the area using Google EArth, from which the route was
    digitized, and create a marker file for street names & track locations. I also will
    include a data directory that will include those items plus all the kml, kmz, and
    mkr files used to do the route.

I will use it as a starting (or ending) point on two routes, but there are at least
    3 other CSX routes plus the N&E which one might want to deal with. Were I
    going to do that, I would back date it to prior to 1969 and do the entire TC
    which was 296 miles from Hopkinsville, KY to Harriman, TN. There will also be
    a .txt file in the data directory explaining something of the history. I have
    included all branches & industry tracks that currently exist on Google EArth.
    As a young lad of 15, I was a water boy for a painting company that worked on
    the then new, Ford Glass plant in 1954. It is no longer a Ford operation but it
    still exists.

J. H. Sullivan

And the owner of the Nashville & Eastern lives in Vermont and served in the house of representatives. He was not an Amtrak supporter, however.

Always thought the loss of the Tennessee Central was a real omission on the railroad map. Would have made sense as a Southern Railway feeder. I guess that's why the L&N wanted it: to stop that from happening. Kept Nashville as essentially an L&N only town.

Christopher

The Tennessee Central was owned by the Southern & the Illinois Central in the early 20th century.
    The Illinois Central shared the small yard along the river with the Southern and that is why the
    junction of what is left of the "belt line" and the line along the river is still called "Southern Jct."
    IC owned Hopkinsville, KY to that junction and Southern owned from there to Harriman, TN.

After the bankruptcy in 1969, the Southern got Crossville to Harriman, and L&N got Nashville
    to a point just west of downtown Crossville but there was about a 1 mile gap where the tracks
    were pulled up. Hopkinsville to Nashville was briefly a IC operation, but then when the N&E
    took over both lines, Hopkinsville to Ashland City was abandoned.

There is a very good book on the line that came out about 10 years ago.

J. H. Sullivan

This sounds fantastic Jerry. I've always enjoyed your work, so to see this makes me a happy camper
    - Chris N.
    So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet, to see the king of the potato people... and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?

Default 3 Main Bridges

Colleagues,

In the Nashville Terminal area there are two large bridges over the Cumberland R.
    that were originally L&N, now CSX, bridges.

A third was owned by the Tennessee Central, currently the Nashville & Ashland
    City, which is owned by the Nashville & Eastern.

Left to Right, Shelby L&N Bridge, L&N Draw Bridge, TCRR Bridge

I had diagrams for the L&N bridges, but no data on the TCRR so the TCRR
    bridges is just a rusty version of the L&N draw bridge. In truth the TCRR
    bridge is VERY RUSTY. The TCRR bridge has a very long timber trestle
    approach on the south end which is across a flood plane.

J. H. Sullivan
    Attached Images Attached Images