Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to connect to RWA site - can someone here help???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Unable to connect to RWA site - can someone here help???

Hello Citizens,

I've been running Train Simulator since before it was Train Simulator - that is, since it was released in its first incarnation as 'Rail Simulator' (which evolved into 'RailWorks' - which evolved into TS). The two primary forums I have visited over the years are this one and the one over at Railworks America. For a LONG time now (more than one year) I have been unable to connect to the RWA site. When I try I get the following:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at railworksamerica.com Port 80

When this first started happening, I could still connect to the forums there, and so I was able to get an email off to Bob to let him know of my difficulty. He told me that several individuals had reported the same experience, and that he was trying to get it sorted. I never heard back from him and I have never been able to get back in - to ANY bits of the site - which means that at this point I can't even get an email address so that I can explain my problem and petition for help.

So I'm taking the chance on posting this here. If anyone can send me a PM and at least provide contact information with someone at RWA I would be very grateful.

Thanks in any case.

Peace,

cs

(Sam, in Oregon)

Try this and see if it works
    http://www.vnerrforums.com/rwforums/index.php
    HP Omen Obelisk Desktop, i7-8700, GeForce RTX 2080, Windows 10 Pro

Dave Horton
    Las Vegas, NV

Hello Dave,

Yes, I am able to connect to the North Eastern Rail Works forum using that link. How does that help me get connected to the RWA site? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Sam

I think I see. I tried using the link to RWA that Bob posted in the 'Links' sub-forum. No joy. Using links posted in that sub-forum I can get to the G-TraX site, the Golden Age of Railroading site, and Obo's catalog. But when I use the link Bob posted to the RWA site, I get the same "Forbidden....." message that I posted above.

Thanks anyway.

Perhaps you got banned...
    Vern.

Wrong username, Vern.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Perhaps you got banned...
    Negative. As I say, when the problem first started I was able to get an email off to Bob and explain what was happening on my end. At that point I could still visit the forums, but the main site and the file library were untouchable. Bob replied, and said I was not the only one and he was trying to figure it out. He suspected that for some reason, certain IPs were being blocked and he did not know why. I recall he told me that he was busy at his 'real' job at the time and it might take a week or two to get things sorted. I never heard anything from him again and then I couldn't even get back into the forums.

I stopped using Train Simulator for a while (otherwise occupied with my own real world issues) but my interest is recently rekindled and I would like to be able to visit the sites that I enjoyed previously.

Just asking for some help. If you are unable to help I understand. Your post with the smiley face implies malevolent intent on my part. Not the case at all.

Peace.

Hello there, what browser are you using please, as I have just got onto the RWA forum page with no problem using both Opera and Mozilla Firefox.

I do know that Bob moved house as he retired and moved down to Florida from the Pittsburgh area a few month's ago, which is possibly why things went a bit quiet.

https://railworksamerica.com/forum/index.php

http://railworksamerica.com/forum/

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried getting into the RWA site using Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome - all with exactly the same unsatisfying result - the '403 Forbidden error' referenced above. This happens regardless of device - desktop PC, laptop, smart (?) phone. I have no experience with Opera, but will look into that possibility (I confess my optimism is not high).

Extremely frustrating, as when you are completely locked out (as I seem to be and for no reason for which I can account) you can't even communicate with someone to let them know that you are experiencing difficulty.

At the time I exchanged my communications with Bob I was still employed - at a local university using their version of MS Outlook for email. Since then I myself have retired - at which point I lost access to that email account and switched over to using a gmail account that I created for my own personal use. All to say that I no longer even have access to the old communications that Bob and I shared and so no longer have a working email address for him.

I suppose if the local public library ever reopens, post-COVID, I might be able to use one of their machines to access the RWA site....

Update: I downloaded and installed Opera but that gives me the same (negative) result. Thanks just the same for the suggestion.

I have to assume that my IP is being blocked by RWA (with no firm understanding of the way these things work).

2021 is supposed to be better than 2020, right?

I will endeavor to persevere - stiff upper lip and all that.

Peace,

cs (Sam in Oregon)