Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milestones in MSTS History

Every NDA I've ever signed was in perpetuity, particularly when it pertains to proprietary information...

For someone like myself who was attracted to MSTS by the modeling of the US Northeast Corridor, 2 developments were milestones: Vince's NECV4 as a major upgrade to the MS/Kuju version, then PRR East which added NY - Philadelphia and a more realistic rendering of the Philadelphia area.

We still don't have NY to Boston so whoever does that will add another major milestone.

Jon

MSTS 2 was summarily executed when Microsoft (then under Steve Ballmer at the helm) closed down ACES studio and laid off most of its staff. It didn't matter what stage of development it was in -- everything was simply ended.

I remember a blog/press release which stated a Horseshoe Curve route was complete enough to demo at an upcoming conference; that happened a month or two before ACES Studio got the axe.

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    The advent of newer versions of Windows which effectively stopped many people from using it (esp. if you had an ATI graphics card)…
    Officially, MSTS was unsupported by any version of Windows past XP, and I'm not sure if they even officially supported it in XP. Mainly, MSTS was written for Win98, where there was little real protection for the Program Files directory. XP was based on NT, which did have such protection, and Vista and up has stronger protection (compatibility mode in XP let MSTS work OK). We all found and published ways to work around that (see Steam4Me, and even here (or is it at Elvas Tower?) for a while with instructions for Vista that still mostly work. If you have a nVidia graphics card.

Another milestone was the founding of this web site, which became (and remains) the major center for freeware add-ons (mostly but not entirely for US items) and finding commercial products. It spawned a bunch of others that may or may not be related, with the UK site being another major force. Without these sites, it's likely that when MS abandoned MSTS it would have died out like many games of the time.

As for routes, I have to flag 4 that I have, that demonstrated (sometimes with flaws) how much things could be improved from what came with MSTS: 3DTS' Tehachapi and Cajon Pass/High Desert routes (especially with 3DTrains' scenery rebuilds); Facing Point's Surfliner (I know I'll take flak for this, because the company was involved with theft of both customers' funds and suppliers' products) that, for all its faults, demonstrated how good track could both work and look with Scalerail; and 3DTrains' WP route (3DTS Donner Pass route of the same period is another example) that took realism to new heights.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 01-05-2021 at 12:35 PM. Reason: missed a word delete that was needed in prior edits

London and Port Stanley.

Firsts...

Long, long ago, in a universe far, far, away, a little company called V Scale Creations launched a few commercial projects that were ground breaking at the time, such as:

* First ever to commercially offer a steam oriented route. (St. Louis & North Arkansas "North Arkansas" route.)

* First ever commercially offered steam equipment packs. (North Arkansas and Colorado Midland equipment packs.)

* First ever to offer prototypical activities for a commercial route that had logical starts/finishes as well as unpredictable prototype-based events along the way.

* First ever to include sequential activities in a commercial route that reflected the passing of time and seasons along with increasing in complexity and challenge as the end user became more proficient. (Included in the North Arkansas and A&O sub routes.)

* First ever to commercially offer a 19th century route. (The Ozark Northern route, circa 1893.)

There are a few other minor "firsts", but the above are the one's I can quickly recall and that are the most gratifying to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coonskin View Post
    Firsts...

Long, long ago, in a universe far, far, away, a little company called V Scale Creations launched a few commercial projects that were ground breaking at the time...
    Hear-hear.jpg A&O Sub >>> http://www.vscalecreations.com/AObuy.htm

One of the first routes I purchased for MSTS in 2013. [before I discovered OR]

Still a wonderful route with included activities and equipment!
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

If you are going to put anything, most people will demand the PRR Eastern Region.
    Heck, if anything, it raised the standard so much that most of its newer activities only work in Open Rails.

Two milestones instantly spring to my mind:
    1) The development of the BIN patch. A mind-numbingly difficult project that far extended the useful life of MSTS.
    2) The identification of the cause of the so called Cutbank syndrome and (perhaps a separate milestone) the development of the bypass for the problem.

It was a well known fact that in order to run MSTS a large number of files were needed for each simulation. MSTS wants to read all of the files that might be required, and these are then stored within its memory ready to be used. Consequently as the MSTS content grew so the files memorised grew and this significantly increased the start up time.

The obvious solution to this was to minimise the number of files that MSTS needed to memorise, and that is what Train Store does, and for me that was a significant step forward to improving my MSTS experience.
    Creating L&YR Wagons - see HERE and L&NWR Coaches - see HERE.