Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install MSTS without a DVD/CD player

Default Install MSTS without a DVD/CD player

I just bought a new laptop, not knowing DVD/CD drives are not basic equipment any more. So here I am with a very good new computer with no DVD/CD drive. I have copied the 2 install discs on a thumb drive, and even each disc on separate thumb drives. ( I did purchase the original MSTS CD's ). MSTS installs from the thumb drive up to the point that is asks for the second CD. When I cancel the install, it deletes all MSTS files.

Any suggestions on how to install without a CD drive?

Buy an external usb cd drive for your laptop.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Try this. https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...all-from-a-USB

I'm not sure why you'd want it. ORTS doesn't need it...

You can also find external USB DVD drives for ~25USD at big box stores or online.

In this case you should use "image mounting" procedures, or whatever word would be the best to describe this.

So what you do is, make and image files from the installation CD's or if you have DVD... On the computer that have DVD/CD drive.
    You take those images and move them to your computer that you want to install the game.... via USB or whatever, probly USB the best option...
    And then mount those images, and install the game.

Good luck, cheers
    Last edited by gammaray84; 01-03-2021 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Spellings

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Buy an external usb cd drive for your laptop.
    My thoughts exactly.
    These are very cheap and surely MSTS isn't the ONLY software, music, video etc. that you have on disc? They aren't much bigger than a DVD case and many come with fast USB connectors if you read the specs of the models.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I ought to get out more. I didn't know there was such a thing. Thanks for the quick reply. That sounds like just what I need.

I did search first on the forum, but I guess I used the wrong wording. Thanks again for the help

COPY files from both CDs to one Thumb drive. Overwrite duplicate. Run Autorun from thumb drive. Click OK when/if it asks for second drive.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by a1hogger View Post
    I ought to get out more. I didn't know there was such a thing. Thanks for the quick reply. That sounds like just what I need.
    DOH.jpg The number of times you'd do this if you searched the internet for any old phrase, collection of words, or thing you'da thunk didn't exist or was impossible to find --- would approach the infinite. Happy to help.

Note: it would also be good to follow Charles's advice, as a backup...and definitely look into Open Rails http://openrails.org/
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    These are very cheap and surely MSTS isn't the ONLY software, music, video etc. that you have on disc? They aren't much bigger than a DVD case and many come with fast USB connectors if you read the specs of the models.
    I'd go a step farther and get a USB BD drive. Even BD/DVD/CD writers are still available that plug into USB2 ports. Got one last year, for a very reasonable price (actually, less than one that goes into the computer case) that works well (though I've only tested writing CDs and DVDs). Figured I'd get USB versions of the disc drives (also got one for 3 1/2" floppy, for <$20 US) while they're still available, since newer computer no longer support floppies of any kind and even optical drive support is fading away (fewer SATA ports on current motherboards than there used to be). Most (non-Apple) systems have lots of USB ports, though.