Thread: Windows 10 Backup

Default Windows 10 Backup

Hi All,

I finally got around to backing up my computer.

From the control panel I selected backup and restore and created a rescue disk, a system image, and set up weekly system backups. The image and weekly backups are on an external hard drive. The rescue disk is on a DVD. Everything has been running for about a month now and looks fine.

Here is my question. Exactly what is being backed up? I chose the option to let windows select what is backed up (recommended).

My system disk is drive F. I have a large number of mini routes in directories F:/0MSTS, 1MSTS, and 3MSTS. These are the main directories that I want to preserve. The description of what files are saved is very vague in the set up process.

Can anyone tell me what files are being saved?

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by frliss View Post
    Hi All,

I finally got around to backing up my computer.

From the control panel I selected backup and restore and created a rescue disk, a system image, and set up weekly system backups. The image and weekly backups are on an external hard drive. The rescue disk is on a DVD. Everything has been running for about a month now and looks fine.

Here is my question. Exactly what is being backed up? I chose the option to let windows select what is backed up (recommended).

My system disk is drive F. I have a large number of mini routes in directories F:/0MSTS, 1MSTS, and 3MSTS. These are the main directories that I want to preserve. The description of what files are saved is very vague in the set up process.

Can anyone tell me what files are being saved?

Fred
    Backup is called "File History" in Win 10
    By default, File History backs up important folders in your user folder—stuff like Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, and parts of the AppData folder. You can exclude folders you don't want backed up and add folders from elsewhere on your PC that you do want backed up.
    So if you want it to backup F:/0MSTS, 1MSTS, and 3MSTS you have to add those paths.
    Charles

Test your back-up's. Do not assume that they are usable. Also a back-up device capable of being destroyed when the computer is due to lightning, etc. is not to useful.

Thanks for the info. It turns out that I was not saving the directories that I considered important. I have things straightened out now and everything is ok.

Fred