Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Run8 Multiplayer Popularity

Yeah purpose is important. Sites like Depot+ & SW Rail former RTS (sorry Highball I don't have experience there if you have a similar system) has a good purpose built into their server, forum systems.

From a personal standpoint in RTS for Run8 V1 I was able to generate the trains with the tags, different weights for commodities. I didn't get into the user friendliness side of things so it took a bit of using familiar systems etc.

When V2 came out RTS became obsolete as the files changed slightly. I decided ultimately not to update it because Run8 had it's own internal system. If I was still in Run8 I'd consider updating the RTS software. But the effort wasn't worth the reward ultimately despite considering it many times.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I know we have the car forwarding system but not been able to get my head around it.....
    But when you do, it does provide a purpose.

A purpose would also be provided if there was a system with Run 8 that would allow activities/scenarios to be created. It was these which gave purpose to MSTS and without them MSTS would have suffered badly.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

For sure. The activity system in MSTS did give purpose and I wrote many activities, but they last once and that is that. I think about 10 years ago I tried an activity sharing scheme in the early RTS concept but it didn't take off as I recall. This would allow 2 or more people to share activities with a set of shared route/stock to avoid needless downloads. It also helps avoid the whole reading your own story and know the ending. I always enjoyed good activities but it was a shame to have to download so much that sometimes never was used more than once.

This is where I like the open ended idea of Run8. I think some user friendly systems would certainly help, but they have a pretty good system to start with. Again always room for improvement.

Thanks

Sean

Sean, wasn’t one of the things you were working on with Trainz some kind of industry/forwarding system, or figuring out how whatever comes with Trainz works?

I remember it being added in TRS2004 and not having a clue about spawners/portals or how to set up AI drivers to drive to their destinations to pick up and drop off cargo, Transport Tycoon-style.

(Sorry for the tangent)

Trainz to be honest is a little weird and confusing when it comes to that thing. This is beauty of Run8 in comparison because the only thing you have to know is to calculate the co-ordinates based on train save locations in an XML file that can be fully created.

When I started working on Niagara, I decided like many of my other ventures that it's not worth the effort for the reward. It's the same reason why I didn't go with RTSv2 for Run8. Fortunately the analysis phase was enough to discourage me from even attempting it for Trainz.

Now that doesn't mean my work with Trainz is over. Niagara like many of the smaller regions I'm used to don't have tons of trains in a 24 hour period. Which means you have time on the clock to actually build them, and tag them properly. Before I added TransDem and started my route from scratch I was using a spreadsheet to generate some traffic, which worked good as an alpha.

Thanks

Sean

Okay I have had a few complaints about this thread being hijack by a few people and you know who you are. It stops now.
    Work Safe play hard

Quote Originally Posted by westerngy View Post
    Okay I have had a few complaints about this thread being hijack by a few people and you know who you are. It stops now.
    Oh, ease up!
    For crying out loud....it's all rail related and just because the conversation evolves doesn't require a heavy-handed approach.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Oh, ease up!
    For crying out loud....it's all rail related and just because the conversation evolves doesn't require a heavy-handed approach.
    When others make complaints it has to be dealt with.
    Work Safe play hard

It would be nice to know what the actual complaint is?

I have no idea of anyone here to be honest hijacking this thread.

Thanks

Sean

I read over this thread again because I'm actually appreciative of the information. I compared the information to that of the prototype. Other asked about what they meant by prototype. A separate thread was started. However more posts asking questions from me a bit off topic was replied to. Nobody was attacking the OP, so I'm not sure who this would offend.