Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car Forwarding System...

Update:
    I think I got it now guys. After a bit of trial and error, I was able to spawn in two trains, one at LA, one at Seligman both with traffic for the Trona branch. Got them both heading for Mojave (I'm driving the one ex LA) where I'll shunt into separate locals - one for TRC the other for Searles. Will be a while before I get to this stage but this is cracking stuff, exactly what I wanted to make things more interesting.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    So if I read what you say correctly, you can't actually start an industry with a rake of empty (or loaded) cars, you have to actually spawn in a train, remarshal it then give it the correct designation before working the portion(s) to the relevant industry sidings.
    Initially, you can populate industries using the Consist Editor. Place the proper cars & tag them accordingly. If they are spotted properly, they will automatically load/unload & retag themselves based on the 'config.ind'. That way, when your spawned supply train(s) arrive, you will have something to pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Update:
    I think I got it now guys. ...... this is cracking stuff, exactly what I wanted to make things more interesting.
    Good on you for persevering, Vern.
    If there was a thumbs-up smiley, I would have used that too.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Yeah whenever you spawn something over an industry just make sure you select it or couple onto it. But it's also fun to just have some trains with cars already tagged and have fun from there.

You can also get pretty wild when it comes to the hump configurations which will quickly separate the trains into various other destinations that you can run etc. I'm not sure what the configuration at Depot is but there is some petty wild things you can do. I like using multiple configuration in places like Barstow. Think of it like a deck of cards. You shuffle them and then you play solitaire. I'm not sure what the configuration at Depot is but there is some petty wild things you can do. A better analogy would be the following with more suits let's say:

The cards are separated into the suits. In this case your 1st hump configuration can be divided into the various locations using either the train symbol or the industry code. This will separate the bowl tracks in the various (suits) which can then be brought into the departure yards (if not further sorting is required or necessary, or the local yard for any locals out of Barstow).

The hump power then brings those locals 1 at a time and the configuration is changed to sort it even further (blocking). Depending on how many trains you are looking to run if you have the AI, manpower, or interest you can even have most manifest trains with a true purpose even if on AI. So your not just passing eye candy but parts of your operation.

If your ever in the SE Waycross is also a gem of a hump because of the number of tracks it has. In single player you can have massive amounts of work and variety.

I wish I could give better examples. Scott is someone who has come up with some very unique naming systems. I wish I could give you some better examples of my own but I'm too far away from the systems I used. Bottom line use the Depot files those are well supported and a good start. Then in another save or even a copy of a save, try to experiment to a system that is more to your liking. It DOES NOT have to be prototypical. As long as it is enjoyable to you that alone will give you plenty of variety in your operations.

Thanks

Sean