Thread: Trona branch - Video - pick-up at Searles

Default Trona branch - Video - pick-up at Searles

A short (10min) video of the included-in-the-route activity involving empty coal cars at Searles.

IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Thanks for sharing Bruce. It's quite an interesting location to shunt, with the gradients - I was terrified of the rest of my train rolling back through the tunnel then down the hill halfway to Mojave!
    Vern.

Very enjoyable. Great explanation of activity. Keep em coming Sir.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Thanks for sharing Bruce. It's quite an interesting location to shunt, with the gradients - I was terrified of the rest of my train rolling back through the tunnel then down the hill halfway to Mojave!
    Yeah....I know what you mean!
    There are a couple of real-life videos which show the shunting/switching operations and that grade is quite steep.

This is an interesting area.....almost totally barren.
    Did you know that "trona" is an actual mineral? I just thought it was a made-up name!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trona
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by dejoh View Post
    Very enjoyable. Great explanation of activity. Keep em coming Sir.
    Thank you.
    I shall do my best.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post

This is an interesting area.....almost totally barren.
    Did you know that "trona" is an actual mineral? I just thought it was a made-up name!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trona
    I didn't know that Bruce... even at my age it's sometimes possible to learn something new!

Anyhow to add to variety, I spawned in a train at the Bakersfield end to do some local traffic there. It took a bit of trial and error to find the correct local(s) to assign as the first attempts were arriving with most of the cars showing "Help", which I believe is either if you are missing the route for the industries, or that particular car and R8 has generated a placeholder. It will also help in testing to see if the instant ready without changing status, is just a bug at the Trona plants or more widespread. If I feel really ambitious, I might set up some local traffic for Barstow and LA, too!
    Vern.