Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trona Branch - No Dispatcher Board?

Thanks, squire.

Interesting videos but neither of them provides answers to my questions.
    Last edited by seagoon; 01-20-2021 at 04:11 AM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    What is the coal shipped to Trona for? Is there a power station there that requires power for the potash mining/processing/whatever?
    And why carloads of acid.....is that used for the potash plant?
    I read somewhere it's one of the few coal fired power stations left in the USA.

I assume the acid is used for desulphurisation of the furnace and flues.

As regards potash, presumably a byproduct of the combustion process as I know the SIAM Aire Valley (AV95) traffic simulation had a couple of fly ash workings out of Drax power station during the course of the day's workings. Possibly ended up in the construction industry.
    Vern.

Thanks, Vern.
    As you were posting, I was searching!

And came up with this.............

https://www.gem.wiki/Argus_Cogeneration_Plant
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Nice find and interesting article.
    Work Safe play hard

Originally Posted by seagoon

What is the coal shipped to Trona for? Is there a power station there that requires power for the potash mining/processing/whatever?
    And why carloads of acid.....is that used for the potash plant?
    Bruce the carloads of Sulphuric Acid is used to produce Boric Acid, which is done by a process of combining Borax with and mixing of a mineral acid such as Sulphuric Acid / Hydrochloric Acid. This is done in the Trona section of the plant. With regrads Potash it used to be extracted from Searles Lake, however the Potash production ceased in 1996 and to replace the Potash they doubled production of Borax at the West End plant. As well as Sulphuric Acid tank cars they also recive tank cars of Ethanolamine. The Ethanolamine has two purposes, it is injected into the flue gas pipes/outlets to reduce carbon emmissions such as at the Argus coal plant and is used also as a alkalinization of water in steam pipes of the production plants to control corrosion of metal components. I'm glad Vern started this thread because the Searles Valley Mineral plant is quite an interesting operation and along with other UP operations at Mojave it's a good place for single player activity.

(Saltdale - Alpha Explosives)

Found a video with a guy showing Saltdale and the railcar unloading facility and talking about the place.

Exploring Abandoned Saltdale, CA–Forgotten Ghost Town!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHQf69VhQ-M

And a web page with some pictures of the place.

https://tisqui.github.io/2017/09/28/saltdale.html

Good info.....thanks, James.

One could always jump back to 1974 and haul a couple of salt hoppers down to Mojave.
    Last edited by seagoon; 01-25-2021 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I read somewhere it's one of the few coal fired power stations left in the USA.

I assume the acid is used for desulphurisation of the furnace and flues.

As regards potash, presumably a byproduct of the combustion process as I know the SIAM Aire Valley (AV95) traffic simulation had a couple of fly ash workings out of Drax power station during the course of the day's workings. Possibly ended up in the construction industry.
    AFAIK Trona is the only coal-burning power plant or industrial facility in California. There are still many elsewhere in the US, though the number is dropping rapidly as utilities shift to less expensive and more flexible natural gas. Things might be a little quiet out there right now with continued recovery from the 2019 quakes, but it should be running. CalISO continues to report a small amount (rounds to 0%) of power produced from coal - it's Argus/Trona doing that.