Thread: Total Noob at Activities wants to fix one...

Default Total Noob at Activities wants to fix one...

One of the activities that comes with Surfliner 2.x is an Amtrak from SLO to LA. The train schedule calls for it to depart SLO shortly after the activity starts, next stop Grover Beach. Once clear of the double track in SLO itself, the next siding is at Grover Beach. The station has only one platform, on the main line.

When the activity starts, a freight train is approaching Grover Beach northbound. I need to force that train to take the siding at Grover Beach so the Amtrak can stop at the platform. As it's currently set up, in Open Rails, if I stick to the speed limits, by the time I get to Grover Beach the freight is sitting there waiting for me *on the main track* so I'm forced to the siding. At that point, it's impossible to fix things - the freight leaves, but even if I back out of the siding and make the station stop, I'm listed as having missed the station.

Do I have to build a new path for the freight that explicitly pushes it into the siding and somehow replace the existing path (as a good railroad should do with a scheduled passenger train requiring the main track)? Or do I have to wait until an hour+ behind schedule for it to get to SLO before I leave (as one would expect UP to want)? Or do I have to exceed the speed limits by 20+ mph (that does work - I get to Grover soon enough for force the freight onto the siding, at the risk of derailment on some restricting curves)? Or is there some other way to do it?

What I would do is copy the path file for the AI train to a new path, then open the copy in track viewer and reroute it through Grover siding. Then save and exit, then open the service for the AI train in a Unicode text editor and change the path to the new path. That should be all that is necessary.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jonpd View Post
    What I would do is copy the path file for the AI train to a new path, then open the copy in track viewer and reroute it through Grover siding. Then save and exit, then open the service for the AI train in a Unicode text editor and change the path to the new path. That should be all that is necessary.

Jon
    Thanks! Sounds slightly easier than I thought. Now if I could get the Track Viewer in ORTS to work for me (path editing doesn't always work as expected - must read the docs more).