Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mojave - Searles - Trona

Default Mojave - Searles - Trona

Currently enjoying working this route in Run 8, but am I correct in thinking it has never been done for MSTS or OR?

I can't see anything in the file library or a payware source and nothing to suggest anyone actively working on a version.

Not saying I'm going to build it but would be nice to see it in the "original" sim!
    Vern.

At one time someone was going to build it but I don't recall what happened, more vapor ware I guess. There are Trona engines and hoppers for MSTS. It shouldn't be to difficult to build but having traveled this area many times I think it would be pretty boring, nothing but desert. Trona has basically been a ghost town for years now and has a lot of damage from the earth quake two years ago.
    Jim

It is good in Run 8 because you have the interactive industry spurs and car forwarding, but in MSTS the main attraction is going to be the big pull up Searles Bank.

After looking at the Trona layout in Google Earth, a little too complex for my skills not to mention probably needing a load of custom industrial buildings and equipment. So a bit of a non starter really, I don't feel that ambitious - will content myself with R8 (and no point building in TS20xx as the US loco physics are, generally, a bit naff).
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Currently enjoying working this route in Run 8, but am I correct in thinking it has never been done for MSTS or OR?

I can't see anything in the file library or a payware source and nothing to suggest anyone actively working on a version.

Not saying I'm going to build it but would be nice to see it in the "original" sim!
    The 3DTS Tehachapi route and, IIRC, the Cajon Pass 4.x route (the update with the full Mojave-Palmdale-Colton line), have a spur for the Trona line that is long enough to place a train on for starting or ending an activity. That's about it with MSTS.

The assessment of the line as "boring" is correct for those who like a lot of switching opportunity. The only on-line business on the UP part of the run is a short DOD spur that serves a warehouse for the China Lake base (and possibly Fort Irwin the back way, though Irwin has its own trackage on the other side off the UP Cima route). Otherwise, UP drags emptys and coal for Trona up to Searles, and loads and coal empties from Trona back. Trona drags from Searles to Trona and switches the plant (which, yes, did take some damage from the earthquakes, as did the town, but it's not *quite* a ghost town yet).

FWIW, aftershocks are still happening, probably around 1 (above M2.5) a week, but the initially "robust" aftershock series seems to be finally calming down (it's actually not unusual for a M7 quake to have aftershocks as much as 4-5 years later). Arguably, though, the changes in regional stress patterns due to the Ridgecrest quakes triggered some swarms near Lone Pine and a decently large quake between Tonopah & Mina last year, with the latter area still pretty active. https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...t&timeZone=utc

The last time I was there for the gem/mineral show was fun. Enjoyed going out on the dry lake when they blow up areas and you can go out and grab a bucket full..
    Jim

I have the Railworks version of Mojave Trona. I believe Ottodad and another builder put it together on the back of the Cajon route. I haven't played it for five years.
    Pentium i7-4700 3.4 Ghz QUADCORE 8 Thread, Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3 Main Board, Speed 1600DDR3 x 8 GIG RAM, WIN 7 -64 Bit Home Premium SP1, Gigabyte-GTX650-2 Gig, Crucial 240Gig SATA3 SSD, 1TB SATA3 Western Dig Caviar Blue 7,200RPM, Casecom ADK-B800SM-82PLUS 800W Power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by xcrosswitch View Post
    I have the Railworks version of Mojave Trona. I believe Ottodad and another builder put it together on the back of the Cajon route......
    Do you have the library file name?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Vern, I found this in the MSTS library, if it's of any use to you......

Name: tronaroute.zip
    Size: 11,291,502 Date: 11-29-2011 Downloads: 529

MSTS Trona Subdivision Route. Trona Railways "Trona Subdivision" extends from Trona, Califorina to Searles, Califorina where Trona Railway interchanges with Union Pacific. Only includes the basic route information, correct tiles, and length. There is no track, no DEM, no scenery. Just a starting base for anyone wanting to start this project, 940 tiles in all Trona, CA to Mojave, CA. Roughly about 75 Miles. By John C. Reagon.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I saw that earlier actually Bruce, had a flicker of anticipation until realising it was effectively just a blank canvas.

At this point probably better to start from scratch in TSRE if I was going to take a crack at it...
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Do you have the library file name?
    It was hosted on Otto's webpage, but since his passing I don't know where you can source it from.

I found this on the railworks America site.

I think this may it :-https://www.railworksamerica.com/index.php/download-library/route-collection?view=document&id=2369:mojave-desert-railroading&catid=20:route-collection

Hope it helps.
    Rob
    Last edited by xcrosswitch; 01-16-2021 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Additional Info
    Pentium i7-4700 3.4 Ghz QUADCORE 8 Thread, Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3 Main Board, Speed 1600DDR3 x 8 GIG RAM, WIN 7 -64 Bit Home Premium SP1, Gigabyte-GTX650-2 Gig, Crucial 240Gig SATA3 SSD, 1TB SATA3 Western Dig Caviar Blue 7,200RPM, Casecom ADK-B800SM-82PLUS 800W Power supply.