Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open rails installation question

Default open rails installation question

hello,

i want to install open rails so i can purchase an operate some of train simulations routes/trainsets. i do not have msts installed and am using windows 10.

are there any other items i need to install prior to installing open rails?

during the open rails install process are there any specific guidelines to follow for a successful install?

any info would be appreciated as i am NOT great with computers..............

Quote Originally Posted by goneon66 View Post
    hello,

i want to install open rails so i can purchase an operate some of train simulations routes/trainsets. i do not have msts installed and am using windows 10.

are there any other items i need to install prior to installing open rails?

during the open rails install process are there any specific guidelines to follow for a successful install?

any info would be appreciated as i am NOT great with computers..............

Begin by reading chapters 4 - 5 - 6 of the manual, chapter 4 will explain how MSTS files are used by Open Rails.

There is a free OR Starter Route on the Train Simulations web site. https://www.trainsimulations.net/starter
    Follow their installation instructions exactly. ( Open Rails is included and will install with the OR Starter Route )

They also sell Open Rails routes that do not require any MSTS content. If you purchase one of these routes ( Mullan is excellent ) follow their installation instructions exactly.

Chapter 5 will explain how to begin and set up OR, Chapter 6 will explain the Options Menu tabs in OR. You will do yourself a favor if you begin by looking these chapters over.

If you don't choose to use the free starter route download the last stable version of OR from the link below and start there.
    Last stable version of OR from the left hand side of this page >> http://openrails.org/download/program/ That page also has information that will answer many of your questions.

After you get the latest stable version up and running, then try the latest unstable, testing, or Monogame versions.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 01-16-2021 at 03:51 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

thanks for the info gerry.

since i do not have msts currently installed, i read section 4.4 of the manual ("using a non-msts folder structure).

this section states i have to creast a root folder the contains 4 folders ( \global, \routes, \trains, \sound) and their related sub-folders.

if i download and install the free Train Simulations OR starter route will i still need to create these 4 folders and their related sub folders?

if so, where would i put these 4 folders and their related sub folders?

my plan is to ONLY run Train Simulations OR routes.

thanks for any info.........

Install the Trainsimulations starter route (exactly per the instructions!), study that file structure, and go from there. All subsequent TS product installations will build upon that.

thanks for the info gerry.

since i do not have msts currently installed, i read section 4.4 of the manual ("using a non-msts folder structure).

this section states i have to creast a root folder the contains 4 folders ( \global, \routes, \trains, \sound) and their related sub-folders.

if i download and install the free Train Simulations OR starter route will i still need to create these 4 folders and their related sub folders?

if so, where would i put these 4 folders and their related sub folders?

my plan is to ONLY run Train Simulations OR routes.

thanks for any info.........

[edit]I was dawdling while posting...so follow David's advice.
    I would just download the free starter route and install it. Then check out the folder structure to see what's there. When you start downloading other versions of OR --- the most recent testing, unstable, or Monogame versions I would install these to ( for example ) C:\ORTS or C:\Open Rails, anything that makes sense to you.

Train simulations OR routes will install to this directory C:\TrainSimulations Content. Using the Options\Content tab you can point OR to any directory. When I set up my laptop I copied every installation ( MSTS "mini route" or OR "Profile" ) to C:\ORTS\ORProfiles as you can see from the attached screenshot...making sure to keep the TrainSimulations Content a separate profile.

Everything I use for OR, the testing, unstable and monogame version -- master trainsets, tools, utilites, etc. are in the directory C:\ORTS.
    I used junction links to connect all the Common folders ( GLOBAL; SOUND; .inc; .Cab; and .Snd ) to each profile...excepting of course the Train Simulations profile which needs its' own GLOBAL and SOUND folders.
    bandicam 2021-01-16 14-07-50-920.jpg

bandicam 2021-01-16 14-17-30-149.jpg

bandicam 2021-01-16 14-21-40-472.jpg
    Last edited by R. Steele; 01-16-2021 at 06:31 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

thank you very much to all that responded.

you input is much appreciated.

be safe...........

while reading the minimum system requirements for the TrainSimulations "starter route," i saw that open rails uses direct x version 9.0.

what is the direct x version 9.0?

since i am running on windows 10 is the direct x version 9.0 most likely installed on my system?

thanks again for any info..........

Go ahead and install the starter route and see what happens. I have Windows 10, and it started no problem.

while reading the minimum system requirements for the TrainSimulations "starter route," i saw that open rails uses direct x version 9.0.

what is the direct x version 9.0?

since i am running on windows 10 is the direct x version 9.0 most likely installed on my system?

thanks again for any info..........

No worries, just install the starter route.
    Quote from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...5-3889aae764c1
    - It's a common misconception that Win7/8/8.1 has only DX 11, and Win10 has only DX12.
    Win7/8/8.1/10 all have of DX - 9,10 and 11.

- The following is a list of the Direct X .dll's you will have when the files are up to date.
    Go to the Windows / System 32 folder, (and SysWOW64 if you have 64bit).
    They are in alphabetical order and will start with d3dx9 - 24 > 43 . Then d3dx10 - 33 > 43 & finally d3dx11 - 42 > 43.
    There should also be - d3d9, d3d10 and d3d11 (among others).
    [edit] Gads David, just how fast are you!!
    Cheers, Gerry

i successfully installed the OR route.

thanks again for all of your help.

this place is great..........