Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Rails - A Better Way to Drive Trains

Default Open Rails - A Better Way to Drive Trains

Hi Folks,

Since everyone doesn't always keep up with all the changes in ORTS - figure a picture is worth a thousand words.

You can now move your HUD displays like Track Viewer and Train Driver to a remote PC or Mobile Device via the ORTS Web Server built into the ORTS software. I'm using my iPad in the picture. Just enable in the ORTS options and connect to it via any port you assign. What a godsend compared to cluttering up your main display.

For Example: I'm using http://192.168.254.46:2150

Where 192.168.254.46 is the IP of my PC running ORTS and 2150 is the port defined in the ORTS General Settings.

Also note - I am using a simple Xbox type game controller to drive all my train controls and views.

For those still using the keyboard - step away - get a $25.00 game controller and start to enjoy driving trains.

You need a $7.00 piece of software to facilitate the connection to the controller called Joy2Key.

https://joytokey.net/en/

IMG_1191 by Scott B, on Flickr

Regards,
    Scott

Scott, I've followed your posts about Joy2Key, but never got around to installing it, just bought a controller, looks like it's time to try it out.
    Any advice on setting it up for OR? or is there a template or something for setting it up...noob questions here.
    Also never owned a pad, what do you recommend?...something that gives a decent sized view of the HUDs
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Default Open Rails - A Better Way to Drive Trains

Hi Gerry,

If you’re buying an iPad simply for train sim - and money is a consideration - I’d probably look at whatever sized screen looks good to you in an Android device as they are considerably cheaper. I don’t know much about Android. In order to fit both displays as shown I’d suggest at least an iPad mini sized tablet that’s around an 8” display - that would be smaller than my full sized 10” display shown.

You can certainly use any device that has a web client such as Edge or Chrome - you could test this out with a smart phone and see if you like it. It would just be difficult to get both displays (Track Viewer and Train Driver) on a phone - so you could test with a single display of your choosing.

If you have a Logitech game controller - I could probably send you my setup to help you get you started - just let me know which one you have - as I have both of their devices defined in different Joy2Key profiles.

Joy2Key is super simple yet feature rich. You can have up to four different key sequences per button/joystick that cycle by (orderly progression on each subsequent key press) (number of times pressed like double click) (duration of time pressed - long press) or (using a shift button) - this provides you a lot of different options on a finite number of available keys. I have one profile for steam and another for diesel.

It’s so relaxing to kick back in your favorite chair, with your feet up, while sipping a beer, and driving trains - instead of hunched over the keyboard trying to remember the next needed key sequences...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottb613; 01-17-2021 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Scott, I've followed your posts about Joy2Key, but never got around to installing it, just bought a controller, looks like it's time to try it out.
    Any advice on setting it up for OR? or is there a template or something for setting it up...noob questions here.
    Also never owned a pad, what do you recommend?...something that gives a decent sized view of the HUDs
    Hi Gerry,

One final thought on tablets - again - for ORTS you don't need anything with Cell Service - as WiFi only devices are cheaper as well.

Regards,
    Scott

I use the heads up display on another monitor.
    I love having the game full screen except for that little HUD Scroll window up in the corner.
    Anybody figure out how to get rid of it?

Randy

Interesting option. Since I don't have a tablet lying around, I tried it with an ancient iPhone 5s*, running iOS 12. Works just fine for showing Track Monitor. Even better: I hooked up my current Motorola. Works perfectly alongside the iPhone

That said. My PC is set up in the only wifi dead zone in my home. Time for a wifi repeater.

* Don't tell the boss. Still have to return it when they finally want me back at work. Working at home since 19 March. Getting tired of it But it's better than not having a job at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    I use the heads up display on another monitor.
    I love having the game full screen except for that little HUD Scroll window up in the corner.
    Anybody figure out how to get rid of it?

Randy
    Hi Randy,

Sorry - haven't a clue.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by brama View Post
    Interesting option. Since I don't have a tablet lying around, I tried it with an ancient iPhone 5s*, running iOS 12. Works just fine for showing Track Monitor. Even better: I hooked up my current Motorola. Works perfectly alongside the iPhone

That said. My PC is set up in the only wifi dead zone in my home. Time for a wifi repeater.

* Don't tell the boss. Still have to return it when they finally want me back at work. Working at home since 19 March. Getting tired of it But it's better than not having a job at all.
    Hi...

Glad you like it - it's a game changer in my book...

Regards,
    Scott

Hello Scott,

Would you be able to show a few screenshots of how to set this up and where to find the port number. Is there anywhere I can read up on this functionality?

Quote Originally Posted by csx8851 View Post
    Hello Scott,

Would you be able to show a few screenshots of how to set this up and where to find the port number. Is there anywhere I can read up on this functionality?
    Hi...

MAKE SURE your remote device is on your WiFi network with your PC running ORTS - - - you can't use your cell service.

Make sure you're running Carlo's V88 Monogame or later.

In ORTS [Options] [General] only be concerned with two fields as follows (remember the port):

Enable Webserver

Port Number (suggest leaving 2150 unless you have valid reason to change it)

Image1.jpg

Now on your PC running ORTS - open a "cmd" Command Window - you can find it by opening [Start] bar and typing "cmd" in the search window.

In that command window TYPE: ipconfig

Note your IPv4 IP Address as shown in my screenshot.

Image2.jpg

Finally just open your web browser on your REMOTE device and type your previous information in the address field as shown - your IP will be different than mine. You may get a security warning message on your PC running ORTS - just allow.

IMG_2750.jpg

Regards,
    Scott