Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Rails - A Better Way to Drive Trains

I'm thrilled to see this finally in OR. I loved how in Flight Sim X you could pop-out HUD elements onto other monitors and long have I dreamed about that being possible in OR to clean up clutter on the main screen, and now it's can finally possible!

I was able to get it working in my web browser on the same PC that is running OR, so an external device isn't a requirement to use the feature. I was also able to get it working by using non-MonoGame OR in the latest weekly testing update.

Something that would be interesting to see built off of this feature is a software that emulates the computer displays found in modern GE/EMD cabs, a semi-functional PTC display for OR, or analog gauge software that emulates the gauges on older AAR-style control stands.

Quote Originally Posted by ngc427 View Post
    I'm thrilled to see this finally in OR. I loved how in Flight Sim X you could pop-out HUD elements onto other monitors and long have I dreamed about that being possible in OR to clean up clutter on the main screen, and now it's can finally possible!

I was able to get it working in my web browser on the same PC that is running OR, so an external device isn't a requirement to use the feature. I was also able to get it working by using non-MonoGame OR in the latest weekly testing update.

Something that would be interesting to see built off of this feature is a software that emulates the computer displays found in modern GE/EMD cabs, a semi-functional PTC display for OR, or analog gauge software that emulates the gauges on older AAR-style control stands.
    How about the whole cabview on a second monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    How about the whole cabview on a second monitor.
    That's a very different proposition.

The web-server is not intended for this as it's just sending web-pages to a web browser.

The architecture of Open Rails currently has a single Viewer module which uses the current camera to show its graphical view. To show more than one view at once, we will need multiple viewers each with independent cameras. Not impossible, but it's not high on our priorities.

Another possibility might be to develop the multi-player facility and have two separate Open Rails running at once. That would allow steam enthusiasts to take over driver and fireman roles independently.
    Chris Jakeman