Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Various Screenshots with no particular theme - Part 2021

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Ghost View Post
    Lovely engines! Do they really exist, or is the paint scheme on them fictional?
    Sadly, both are fictional paint schemes crafted by myself and metrarailboy1.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Yea, I've heard this schtick before. But most repainters here tend to start out with Ace files that have already been compressed somewhere along the line once before (they sure don't start with layered PSD files). Many of them turn around and compress their ace files again before uploading their repaints to a file library. Those users are not the "original artists". I'm not in the original artist pool, either, so I don't view it through that very particular narrow lens of "what works best for inventory control if I'm an original artist". If I were an original artist, my focus would be on preserving PSD files anyway.

If compression is cumulative with DDS, then why are file sizes exactly the same after 1 save or after 15 subsequent editing saves? My response is I don't think they are cumulative. If compression is cumulative, then why are the same dimension textures for different railcars always producing the same physical size files regardless of how 'busy' or 'weathered' or 'loaded' the original file was?

Either that, or it may be tool dependent. Who is to say that an authentic photoshop DDS Plug-in does not allow photoshop to reverse the applied compression algorithm once the file is opened in the photoshop editor (sure, one would be absent layers and history of the original files), and when it get saved again after changes, the same compression is re-applied. Think zipping and unzipping. Are all editing tools the same? We may be closer to a format one step down from a layered original that is very "TGA-like" already.

DDS has various compression algorithms that gets visually 'unsprung' once the file is passing through the video card. That tells me something with the compression is very structured or fixed, and potentially walked back with the proper tools.
    Maybe I am not finding the right way here, but, looking into Photoshop, seems my Paint Shop Pro doesn't include the options for DDS, has Photoshop really become a monthly or yearly subscription to use? I don't often mess around much anymore when it comes to repainting, so this may be a huge negative for me.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    Maybe I am not finding the right way here, but, looking into Photoshop, seems my Paint Shop Pro doesn't include the options for DDS, has Photoshop really become a monthly or yearly subscription to use? I don't often mess around much anymore when it comes to repainting, so this may be a huge negative for me.
    Hi Folks,

As an original artist who's made hundreds of original textures - I have noticed a degradation of textures when compressed. What I learned fairly recently - there is no difference in actual texture quality between DXT1, DXT3, and DXT5 only the alpha channel improves.

Hi Shawn,

NVidia makes a plugin that processes DDS in both PS and PSP - I've used it since Jasc 9.1 Paint Shop Pro through my current Corel 9X. It states it's for PS but it works absolutely fine in PSP - - - stay away from Adobe's monthly extortion fee.

Image1.jpg

It looks like NVidia released a new plugin in 2020 - I haven't seen before - says it works with PS. I need to test it. If you want the old one - that I've used for years - I'm sure I could dig it up for you.

https://news.developer.nvidia.com/te...porter-2020-1/

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Folks,

As an original artist who's made hundreds of original textures - I have noticed a degradation of textures when compressed. What I learned fairly recently - there is no difference in actual texture quality between DXT1, DXT3, and DXT5 only the alpha channel improves.

Hi Shawn,

NVidia makes a plugin that processes DDS in both PS and PSP - I've used it since Jasc 9.1 Paint Shop Pro through my current Corel 9X. It states it's for PS but it works absolutely fine in PSP - - - stay away from Adobe's monthly extortion fee.

Image1.jpg

It looks like NVidia released a new plugin in 2020 - I haven't seen before - says it works with PS. I need to test it. If you want the old one - that I've used for years - I'm sure I could dig it up for you.

https://news.developer.nvidia.com/te...porter-2020-1/

Regards,
    Scott
    I've been using Paint Shop Pro 9 for a few years now, Hard to believe I missed this! Thank you!

I downloaded and installed into the plug ins for PSP9, and it doesn't seem to want to do much DDS wise, just PSD wise. Well then..
    Last edited by CSRX; 02-11-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Hi Folks,

Just a follow up thought on compression - as I also paint for Lockheed Martin's P3D (Flight Sim) where we've been exclusively DDS for many years. It would be unheard of for anyone to use DXT compression on an aircraft - it's noticeable - really noticeable - it's almost exclusively 32 bit DDS without compression on that side of the fence.

Regards,
    Scott

Well, did some DDS style textures. Found a much easier plug in for Paint Shop Pro, that works very well! I worked out a pair of 60' CP boxcars, and did a little adjustments much like Geepster did with the bulkhead flat. Just a quick test in the sim. I converted the ff-hardware to dds format as well.

Those look great, Shawn. Hopefully, we'll be running them soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt C View Post
    Those look great, Shawn. Hopefully, we'll be running them soon!
    Not even sure these will be a public release as of yet. I've only found two decent photos online. I see these a lot in Whitehall, NY for CPRS. The International Paper Mill in Ticonderoga, NY uses them versus 50' boxcars. My father was actually part of the construction company, to upgrade that part of the facility, so they could use 60' boxcars instead. I'm really surprised more mills in the New England region haven't done this yet..

Should try free GIMP.. They do BMP and other formats, can be changed to DDS conversions... Works good for me as well.. Just throwing in an idea..
    Dave Edwards

Look real good from here, Shawn!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.