Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Various Screenshots with no particular theme - Part 2021

Empty J train headed to Pasco, where the cars will be added to the pass-kick.

Only thing left to modify is eliminating the plane shadows on the decks of the flats.

CP train 250.

https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

[QUOTE=geepster775;1980774]Empty J train headed to Pasco, where the cars will be added to the pass-kick.

Only thing left to modify is eliminating the plane shadows on the decks of the flats.

Using the old model, I simulated with them loaded with aircraft frames.
    Very good your simulation
    Chimbica Dash8

The old Boeing set had the plane sharing the same texture with the flatcar. The new Boeing set that came with Mullan pass route moves the plane to a separate 2048 texture of its own. I just replaced that 2048 texture with a 512 fully alpha'ed container texture. The plane mounting hardware on the flat was re-done in the second set to look far more accurate with a missing plane body.

Just need to work on the tailcar now.

I don't know about the rest of you, but working with DDS textures is a TREMENDOUS improvement in workflow. Just open the shape in shapeviewer to see what the original textures was saved at (DXT1, 3 or 5), close shape viewer, then just open the target DDS texture in photoshop, make your edits, do a save from Photoshop direct to DDS, minimize photoshop, and fire up the sim to see what it looks like in-game. If it needs work, bail out of the sim, maximize photoshop, undo any previous photoshop steps to back out of any tweaks done that didn't look right, and then do something different and save again and re-fire the sim.

Anyone still glamorizing ACE texture formats with all of its conversion steps and ongoing Win 10/Ace tool compatibility headaches needs to have their heads examined. The new process really is THAT much of an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but working with DDS textures is a TREMENDOUS improvement in workflow. Just open the shape in shapeviewer to see what the original textures was saved at (DXT1, 3 or 5), close shape viewer, then just open the target DDS texture in photoshop, make your edits, do a save from Photoshop direct to DDS, minimize photoshop, and fire up the sim to see what it looks like in-game. If it needs work, bail out of the sim, maximize photoshop, undo any previous photoshop steps to back out of any tweaks done that didn't look right, and then do something different and save again and re-fire the sim.

Anyone still glamorizing ACE texture formats with all of its conversion steps and ongoing Win 10/Ace tool compatibility headaches needs to have their heads examined. The new process really is THAT much of an improvement.
    Always remember that:

from, https://blenderartists.org/t/dds-tex...sources/445862

(Dim) April 24, 2018, 1:43pm #2

I’ll just add a little more info to Blendenzo’s article as to what this means for an artist. This is a mixture of info from the above two sources, as well as my own experience.

The three primary compression methods to be concerned with as an artist are DXT1 and DXT5. There are many other types but they have various pros and cons, and some of them are only available on NVIDIA hardware, or exclusively ATI. The two I’ve mentioned here are by far the most universal and most flexible.

A few words about how DXT compression effects your images. The way the compression works is that it takes a 4x4 square of pixels and saves only two of the three RGB channels for that square. For each 4x4 square, it alternates which channel it drops. What this means is that sharp lines, areas of fine, high contrast, and fine detail, will all end up with some artifacts. In general, this isn’t terrible. Because of the alternation within the algorithm, the eye is successfully tricked, but if images are too small, it becomes hard for the compression to go unnoticed. I don’t recommend going below 256^2 images, and certainly not below 128^2. DXT works wonderfully for 512^2 and higher.

DXT1: This format is an 8:1 compression ratio (it is very small, so a 1MiB image file can be reduced to 128KiB) and it has reasonably lossy RGB channels, but each channel for the most part remains intact, and the artifacts are not obvious. However, it saves the alpha channel as a 1-bit channel (essentially what “clip alpha” does in the GE), so it is not appropriate for smoothed alpha surfaces. For foliage, or other situations where “clip alpha” is desired, this filetype may very well be appropriate, but I can’t seem to be able to get 1-bit alpha to work in Blender. If anyone else can, please speak up! DXT1 is also NOT good for normal maps and creates a wide variety of terrible artifacts. Basically, DXT1 should be used for diffuse and specular maps because of the high compression ratio, but not for much of anything else. There is slight banding in the Diffuse or spec maps, but they can be taken care of (see the gamasutra article above).

DXT3: I cannot recommend this algorithm. It seems pretty much the same as DXT5, but the alpha channel has severe banding.

DXT5: This algorithm has a 4:1 ratio of compression, so it is not as small as DXT1. There is little RGB difference, however, it does have an 8-bit interpolated alpha channel, so it is useful for all alpha applications. The interpolation means it doesn’t have the severe banding associated with DXT3. Because of the lesser compression, there are less artifacts on the normalmap than in DXT1, but they are still there. This would be most useful with organic, or highly noisy maps, but not clean, sharp edged ones, where an uncompressed Targa or even .png maybe the best choice. Like DXT1, DXT5 will eliminate much or your fine detail within a normalmap.

Summary:
    DXT Compression is useful for:
    Scenes with many large texture files that need to remain in memory
    Internet delivery with small filesize
    DXT Compression is NOT useful for:
    Images that must look very clean or remain lossless

DXT1 has an 8:1 compression ratio and is useful for:
    Diffuse maps
    Specular maps
    “Clip Alpha” foliage (provided it works in the BGE)
    DXT1 is NOT useful for:
    Normalmaps
    Smooth Alpha maps

DXT5 has an 4:1 compression ratio and is useful for:
    Normal maps
    Alpha
    Any other map (though it is a larger file than DXT1)

DXT5 is NOT useful for:
    Images requiring high visual fidelity
    Cranial examination notwithstanding, I would love to see something like .tga supported, for iteration purposes of texture editing. Until then, the only safe way is to use .ace (not DXT1). Over the years too many people have complained about losing their original work once they opted to use DXT1 and somehow "misplaced" the non compressed masters. At least with .ace (not DXT1) you are always assured of getting your work back, without compression loss if your paint program fails you! I only use DXT1 when I am 101% sure the non compressed master is safe. I view DDS as a great final release format, but I find myself more often then not tinkering with textures, and DDS is not the format to do it in.

Just my experience,
    Steve

Example #2 of "No longer beating your head into the wall"

This TTPX car came with Mullan pass, but there was no empty equivalent for it. There was an empty version in this bulkhead style in Mullan dressed up as an MRL log car, but the empty version there had a log containment spires.

Shape viewer shows the original DDS was saved as DXT3

There was, however, and plain-jane empty equivalent shape file that came with the Ruel Sub route, the CN 622294

The CN car came with a lumber load.

Pairing the CN empty shape with the TTPX texture produced this shadowed abomination

Using photoshop, I open both the TTPX and empty CN textures side by side, I literally copied the clean decking from the CN car, dragged it over to the TTPX texture, and pasted it. I then whipped out the paint brush to remove the shadowing from the bulkhead panels, and then speckled it up with some grime. Saved as DDS DXT3. Total time in photoshop was THREE minutes to produce this end result.

Quote Originally Posted by EldoradoRailroad View Post
    Always remember that:

from, https://blenderartists.org/t/dds-tex...sources/445862

Cranial examination notwithstanding, I would love to see something like .tga supported, for iteration purposes of texture editing. Until then, the only safe way is to use .ace (not DXT1). Over the years too many people have complained about losing their original work once they opted to use DXT1 and somehow "misplaced" the non compressed masters. At least with .ace (not DXT1) you are always assured of getting your work back, without compression loss if your paint program fails you! I only use DXT1 when I am 101% sure the non compressed master is safe. I view DDS as a great final release format, but I find myself more often then not tinkering with textures, and DDS is not the format to do it in.

Just my experience,
    Steve

Yea, I've heard this schtick before. But most repainters here tend to start out with Ace files that have already been compressed somewhere along the line once before (they sure don't start with layered PSD files). Many of them turn around and compress their ace files again before uploading their repaints to a file library. Those users are not the "original artists". I'm not in the original artist pool, either, so I don't view it through that very particular narrow lens of "what works best for inventory control if I'm an original artist". If I were an original artist, my focus would be on preserving PSD files anyway.

If compression is cumulative with DDS, then why are file sizes exactly the same after 1 save or after 15 subsequent editing saves? My response is I don't think they are cumulative. If compression is cumulative, then why are the same dimension textures for different railcars always producing the same physical size files regardless of how 'busy' or 'weathered' or 'loaded' the original file was?

Either that, or it may be tool dependent. Who is to say that an authentic photoshop DDS Plug-in does not allow photoshop to reverse the applied compression algorithm once the file is opened in the photoshop editor (sure, one would be absent layers and history of the original files), and when it get saved again after changes, the same compression is re-applied. Think zipping and unzipping. Are all editing tools the same? We may be closer to a format one step down from a layered original that is very "TGA-like" already.

DDS has various compression algorithms that gets visually 'unsprung' once the file is passing through the video card. That tells me something with the compression is very structured or fixed, and potentially walked back with the proper tools.
    Last edited by geepster775; 02-09-2021 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW1998 View Post

Lovely engines! Do they really exist, or is the paint scheme on them fictional?
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif