Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Scenes Without Trains - 2021

All this talk about Coca Cola is making me thirsty.
    ~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    The whole route is an anachronism and that's ok. The cutoff date is around 1965. Nothing newer, lots older. Works quite well.
    This was originally a Flying A gas station from one of the 3DTS routes.
    The original pop machine was square. I tried a rounded older style texture but I couldn't get it to look right so I went with the oldest style I could find that fit.
    The pop machine was a Coke Machine and I was a Pepsi drinker.
    Radio Gasoline is an Indy band and the sign is from their cover art. I thought it was cool, so... I borrowed it.
    It works for me and I'm having fun.

Randy
    Certainly that's OK, Randy --- you ought to see the consists I run in my activities --- anachronism museum on rails. I love the old coke machines, thank you for the pics...the work is wonderful, simply grand.
    HatTip.jpg to the work and to hiball's shot of the Texaco.

( my anachronism remark was merely an observation, not a criticism or anything related -- when I drank soda...it is was Coca-Cola, the older machines are very cool ... to me. Pepsi is a little too modern )
    Last edited by R. Steele; 01-03-2022 at 08:11 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Jim,

Americana at it's finest - nice work - sir.

Regards,
    Scott

Thank you Scott. And this route only sees steam
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Certainly that's OK, Randy --- you ought to see the consists I run in my activities --- anachronism museum on rails. I love the old coke machines, thank you for the pics...the work is wonderful, simply grand.
    HatTip.jpg to the work and to hiball's shot of the Texaco.

( my anachronism remark was merely an observation, not a criticism or anything related -- when I drank soda...it is was Coca-Cola, the older machines are very cool ... to me. Pepsi is a little too modern )

Thanks Gerry, I can only take credit for the route not the model of the station, just wanted to show the coke machine. I don't drink Coke or Pepsi
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hiball 3985 View Post
    Thank you Scott. And this route only sees steam
    Hi Jim,

Is there any other kind?

Hi Folks,

While these old "pop" "coke" "soda" "tonic" machines weren't the most prevalent when I was a kid - you could still find them tucked away in some out of the way locations like forgotten gas stations - especially down south. Anyone else remember the simple pleasure of pulling one of those iced cold bottles of pop from the machine on some thick hot sweltering summer day - with the pearly beads of condensation running down the sides of the bottle as the cold met the hot humid air? The slight satisfying hiss as you popped the top off in the machine. The smooth feel of the cool well worn glass as it touched your lips for your first sip. Simpler times. The plastic generation will never know that pleasure.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott, I moved from NY to Calif when I was 10 and don't remember the ones on the east coast but many of the gas stations here had them. The Coke machines I remember had a variety of different drinks. I seldom drank soda but when I did it was Orange. Good old frosty glass.
    Jim

When I was a little kid, early 60s, the store up the street from from my grandparents had one of these.

Put a lot of quarters in it over the years.
    I grew up in the area where Colorado, Nebraska and Kansas all come together.

Hi Folks,

I was born in the mid 60's - so I was still finding them on rare occasion in the 70's. My family had one of those RV trailers as a kid - so we did travel a bunch and I recall coming across them while on the road. The service station in my home town in NY had one tucked away in a dark corner of the garage. I was a big Orange Crush fan as a kid as well.

Regards,
    Scott

Screenshot (195).jpg
    Pelham Parkway station on the NYW&B now currently the (5) line
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic75077_5.gif
    Cory Duguid
    US NAVY VET

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Folks,

I was born in the mid 60's - so I was still finding them on rare occasion in the 70's. My family had one of those RV trailers as a kid - so we did travel a bunch and I recall coming across them while on the road. The service station in my home town in NY had one tucked away in a dark corner of the garage. I was a big Orange Crush fan as a kid as well.

Regards,
    Scott

Orange Crush and Creme Soda were my favorites when I was a kid. I still buy Creme Soda but made by a small independent bottling company that uses original recipe.
    Find the Crush?
    Jim