Thread: Placing signals (complex junction)

Default Placing signals (complex junction)

Hi,

I am not familiar with the signal and their operation. I saw a lot of them, stand alone and gantry types, and dwarf. As you can see in the diagram below, I am at a junction and i want to install a gantry over tracks A and B in order to regulate the access to track C, D and E.

I saw either in the file library here or in routes i have, payware and freeware, different styles of signals, ranging from 1 light to 3, and in absolute or restricted mode. And that is where i am loosing it.

I am guessing that if I want to go from A to B, i should use only a 1 light signal since there is only one available routing possible. For that, sould I use a 2 or 3 light signal and should it be Absolute or Restricted or else? Would it be better practice if it was not a gantry type but a stand alone?

For the more complex routing from B, I have 3 paths to choose. I am guessing a 3 light signal is required, but which light with wich path? And again Absolute, Restricted or else?

Is there a tutorial that would let me understand how a "complex" junction operates?

Thanks

Michel
    Attached Images Attached Images

What system? They are very different depending on when and by whom they were made. Absolute signals should be used in a junction as there are possible conflicting routes, but after that I don't know without knowing the system in use

By system, do you mean like CN or BNSF or another one?

More so who actually made the signals for the sim

My payware are from MLT and SLI/Trainsimulations. The freeware are from various individuals, like NEC, DAR, Chicago Stations, many routes from Bob Wirth, UP-Cima sub, and more. And there is the signals files from here, like the last ones posted by Travis Ebner.

By curiosity, is it important to know who made the signals before using them? is it possible to use different signals from different makers in the same route?

You can have as many signals from as many builders as you want.
    You will have to add the shapes and textures to the route and modify the sigcfg and sigscr to include them as usable signals in your route.
    There's plenty of information here in the forums on how to do that.

Randy

What signals you use isn't critical, but I see a need for three and four head signals:

A to C = one head

B to C = two or three head
    - Head 2 -> S3 to D
    Head 3 -> S5 to E

C = two or three head
    head 2 -> S1 to A
    Head 3 -> S2 to B

D = two or three head
    head 2 -> S4 to C2
    head 3 -> S7 to E2

E = two to four head
    head 2 ->S6 to D2
    head 3 -> S4 to C2
    head 4 -> S2 to B

C2 = two or three head
    head 2 -> S3 to D
    head 3 -> S5 to E

D2 - two head
    head 2 -> S5 to E

E2 = two head
    head 2 -> S8 to D

You could also do a second or third set of two headed signals between S7 & S4 as well as S4 & S5 to avoid the three and four headed signals, or you could ignore the paths that are a track removed from the starting track that drive the fourth head.

Gantry signals are probably the easiest to see and use. I limited my custom built CNW signals to a max of three heads... the fourth head is pretty rare, and it's easier to split an interlocking with an intermediate gantry to accommodate "beyond" paths.

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    You can have as many signals from as many builders as you want.
    You will have to add the shapes and textures to the route and modify the sigcfg and sigscr to include them as usable signals in your route.
    There's plenty of information here in the forums on how to do that.

Randy
    That, I think, is the easy part, at least I hope so. For me, the hard part seems to select a signal, for a given purpose. That is why, in the first place, I asked about Absolute and Restrictive signals. Not knowing how it is in the real world, i cannot translate it to the sim.

Then, the number of signals, is it to match the possible paths? (3 lights for 3 paths, 2 for 2) In real world, living near a CN double-track, I saw 3-lights signals at single or double crossover (only 2 possible paths), what is the use of the 3 lights if I want to apply that to a route?

The choice is quite abundant here. Maybe i should not care about real world and just pick a signal, maybe I am trying to much to copy it.

to Eolesen: thanks for your elaborate reply...i was writing mine to Randy when yours came in. It is very useful for my understanding.

Are they all normal signals or do I have to use Absolute or Restricted?

Absolutes are what I use, but it all depends on the railroad you're modeling and what level of AI traffic you're expecting.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk