Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Delete RE item running under Win7x64

Default Can't Delete RE item running under Win7x64

I installed MSTS on my laptop running Win7x64, avoiding the Program Files folders in the C: drive and using G:\Train Simulator as a folder. I added both updates.
    I am unable to delete any item when running the Route Editor. Highlighting the item and pressing the delete key does not work. Apparently the files are stuck in read only mode.
    Any ideas?

Laptop? Check your keyboard mapping in MSTS and consider Open Rails.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Make sure the entire MSTS installation is not "Read Only".

The keyboard pretty much maps out like any other laptop keyboard. The physical position of the delete key is different than a desktop keyboard. The delete key does work since I was able to delete characters in the sigcfg.dat file. Running the sim works, and the Route Editor works except for the inability to delete items.

I have no way of controlling the "read only" since this is not an installation parameter. The security tab in the properties shows read only, but so does this tab in my desktop installation with Win7x86. Is it possible that Win7x64 has something to do with this? Has any one else installed MSTS on a 64 bit computer?

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by gcaggiano View Post
    Has any one else installed MSTS on a 64 bit computer?
    Almost everyone.

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

And that's not all...
    1. Using the RE which displays the Hitsatsu Line just outside the Yatsushiro Station first, I added a bush. I was unable to delete it. I exited the RE with saving, and entered it again at the same place. The bush was there but I was unable to delete it.
    2. Removing the check mark from the read-only parameter in the "Train Simulator" folder properties produced a flurry of activity as all of read-only checks were cleared from subfolders etc. Or so I thought. leaving the properties and entering it again showed the read-only parameter checked again.

As an aside, I was referring to 64 bit Win7.

Thanks for all of your responses!!

Quote Originally Posted by gcaggiano View Post
    I have no way of controlling the "read only" since this is not an installation parameter. The security tab in the properties shows read only, but so does this tab in my desktop installation with Win7x86. Is it possible that Win7x64 has something to do with this? Has any one else installed MSTS on a 64 bit computer?
    After installation, open Windows Explorer and right click on the folder containing the MSTS installation files and select properties. You should be able to un-set the read only parameter there for the folder, and subfolders and files in the folder.

You may have to do this as administrator to get it to stick.

Jon

I am running as a user/administrator according to the control panel. I am the only user on my laptop. Yet I am unable to remove the check mark. This check is also present on my desktop where I am able to delete RE items at will. I once ran MSTS on an older laptop running Win7x86 with no problems.

Continuing...
    I tried reinstalling MSTS both into the Program Files(86) and another partition folder. I still cannot delete an item in the Route Editor. I am seriously thinking of reinstalling Win7x86 on this laptop, if at all possible. What an interesting problem!!