Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tracks on all routes look like they're laid in concrete, ( no ballast texture).

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    >Also Everything Was Running Fine Till I Installed Ohio Rail and Started Running the Batch Files for Track Textures.

Ok it is the copying textures that caused the problem, I will check the batch files.

My version of Ohio Rails does not have those batch files.
    Mine does and they would ONLY affect the textures in the Bodiddly\Textures folder. Unless they were run from a lower level folder.
    Charles

I had a similar problem after installing the ORTS sample route. New shapes were loaded which used DDS textures, which is why they said to install as a mini route and not in your main MSTS route contact directory.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    I had a similar problem after installing the ORTS sample route. New shapes were loaded which used DDS textures, which is why they said to install as a mini route and not in your main MSTS route contact directory.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Eric,
    See posts 2-5.
    Charles

I'm not blind, Charles. But it looks like the same symptom thus probably the same cause -- a change to Global\Textures files *or* Global\Shapes (which could have also had new shapes which expect DDS) that is impacting older routes.
    Last edited by eolesen; 01-23-2021 at 11:05 PM.

OK So What do I have to do to get things back to Normal. Reinstall the original TS as per steam4me and all my Routes or What?
    DaveKfromUP

Start by reinstalling the tracks you're using. If it's X-Track, only re-install X-Tracks. You need that subset of shapes and textures.

Reinstalling TS from the start may fix other issues since you seem to have used the Program Files directories, but I'd start out small.

I do Have X-Tracks, do I Reinstall it in Each Route or Direct it to Trainsim? Or is it Preset to Go Where it needs to Go?
    I wan't to be Sure I Do it Correctly and Make Sure I Eliminate the Problem.
    I have Scale Rail Also or is that Different?
    Thankyou,
    DaveKfromUP

If you intend on using MSTS or any of the editors that came with it then you'll want to uninstall it and reinstall it outside of any of the system folders. Per the Steam4me site.
    Otherwise you can just move the Global, Routes, Sound and Trains folders to a new folder in the root of your drive, C:/msts1, D:/Trainsim are just a couple of examples. Use whatever makes sense to you.
    You install xtracks to this new folder. The shapes will end up in the Global folder and most (all) routes come with the textures already in their respective textures folders.
    Any utilities that want to see MSTS or Train.exe can use the registry entries from the original install and then you can point them to where you moved stuff.
    You will probably end up with many different MSTS content folders in lots of different places as you progress. I have six.
    It'll all start to make sense sooner or later.

Randy

Something related to an old MSTS route has already clobbered his shared Global folder, so no sense in relocating anything. It just needs to be removed and reinstalled per Steam4Me. Then care must be exercised when installing old MSTS content that something doesn't re-clobber things yet again.

Like it or not, many early MSTS content projects were very selfish, where the creator always assumed MSTS was the end of the line and their content would always remain in a certain configuration because of MSTS limitations. So they abused the shared global folder with their specialty modifications without concern over how it would impact other routes when the replacement for MSTS eventually came along. Conrail indy with it's special interstate highway shape add-ons, the London & Port Stanley with its overhead trolley wire and incline tram. Lord only knows what those Ohio-Rail batch files are doing. Hell, you cant even place both payware routes from 3DTrains in the same OR installation because of incompatibilities in scalerail and scaleroads packages.

When it comes to building large shared installations for Open Rails, people need to be wary that all built-for-MSTS content is not exclusively compatible because it was built around MSTS and the barriers of the day. They need to examine and test and discriminate more thoroughly before going on any route installation binge.

The fact that Trainsimulations has moved all their content over to DDS texture formats that MSTS doesn't understand speaks volumes about their desire to divorce their current portfolio of products away from these black hole issues of the MSTS content era.

Don't you just love self installing content?
    I always run these installers into an empty folder created just for that route, or any other content that has a setup.exe.
    It's easy enough to move the stuff I want where it needs to be on my own.
    Once burned twice shy.

Randy