Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new start

Default A new start

G'day All, I have decided to reinstall my old installs (starting with the US and Canada).
    I will keep my old installs until I have completed the task.
    First up is to set up the basic file structure and any necessary addons and then go carefully from there doing one route at a time and doing it well.
    I use OpenRails and am currently on "U2021.01.24-2006" and update regularly.
    I note that there some enhancements for the default routes and rolling stock, any recommendations regarding this?
    Any advice great fully received as I want to do this once and do it right.
    I NEVER use C: drive for any thing to do with the sim.
    I cannot find the site for guidance on installing the initial requirements?
    regards
    Barrie

The open rails manual is a good place to start.
    Christopher

I'm curious to know why you want to do this.

Randy

G'day Randy, this install dates back to the MSTS days and has over 250 routes installed many out dated and I decided it was time for a new start, sort of like a spring cleanup.
    I have the basic folder setup done and installed xtracks, newroads and tsection54. I am now deciding what next!
    Regards
    Barrie

Watch out for route installers that include the "Current" Tsection.dat. Current as in the one that was current back when the route was created.
    Charles

G'day Charles, yes I have after being bitten a few times always installed to a empty folder and then transferred across what was relevant it has saved a lot of head bashing over the years. At this stage I am just getting prepared before installing any routes or stock other than the original msts routes and stock and I need to get good improved patches for these.
    Regards
    Barrie

I'd hate to try and recreate the Global folder. That would definitely be a copy/paste for me.
    Then there's Routes and Trains, nothing to install there.

G'day Randy, I have just finished downloading and installing the global files for ScaleRail and ScaleRoad and if there is nothing more to put in fresh I will copy the global making sure to NOT allow over wright, as for stock I will port across as required, by that stage I can delete all but the trains and routes folder deleting as I go, a lot will not be used and I can kill them at the end.
    Regards
    Barrie

G'day All, well I have just installed the first route "Milwaukee Road, Rocky Mtn. Div 4th Sub" for a route made in 2005 it is quite good, had a couple of bits to hunt down but all in all not bad at all. Its a keeper as it has a good feel to it.
    Regards
    Barrie

That is a good choice. Though I'd recommend using the merged version from 2010 (rmd east). That gives you division 3 and 4 in one route. Plus it has received updates in recent years. In 2019 rmd west was uploaded to the database. Just as goed as the rmd east.

Search for rmd in the database.