Thread: New Installation Error?

Default New Installation Error?

Had MSTS uninstalled for a while on the laptop but decided to put it on again. (Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU, Windows 10 64 bit).

Using the disc archive off a USB drive copied to the HD, as previously on the same machine.

Right click setup.exe to run as administrator and get an error message - "Setup was unable to find (or could not read) the language specific setup resource.dll, unable to continue. Please reboot and try again."

Needless to say both a soft and hard reboot produced the same result on a fresh attempt.

Looks like one of the several Windows updates since last installing MSTS has changed something thus it no longer can install.

Anyone else encountered this, or found/can suggest a solution?

If not, looks like it has truly gone this time. And before anyone sparks up, "Open Rails and TSRE", you still need the base MSTS files installed for the track system etc. to work.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Had MSTS uninstalled for a while on the laptop but decided to put it on again. (Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU, Windows 10 64 bit).

Using the disc archive off a USB drive copied to the HD, as previously on the same machine.

Right click setup.exe to run as administrator and get an error message - "Setup was unable to find (or could not read) the language specific setup resource.dll, unable to continue. Please reboot and try again."

Needless to say both a soft and hard reboot produced the same result on a fresh attempt.

Looks like one of the several Windows updates since last installing MSTS has changed something thus it no longer can install.

Anyone else encountered this, or found/can suggest a solution?

If not, looks like it has truly gone this time. And before anyone sparks up, "Open Rails and TSRE", you still need the base MSTS files installed for the track system etc. to work.
    Yup, happened with me when I was very new to MSTS.
    This is what worked for me:
    1. Do a clean boot of my system.
    2. Remove all invalid registries using regedit.
    3. Remove any residual files from temp and %temp%.

After doing a normal restart, the setup worked. Well I'm not really sure if this is the actual solution.
    Hidetoshi Dekisugi.
    "Creating is more fun than playing."
    Queries, suggestions & feedback: [email protected]
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcq...-dDFeRZkaDto5A

Solved!

On a hunch I copied the folder containing the CD1 and CD2 data from the D drive where I had put it, to the C drive. It is now installing (to the D drive...).

So it lives (just).
    Vern.

I would copy those installers and installed files to a safe place, as I have. Discs won't last forever

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    I would copy those installers and installed files to a safe place, as I have. Discs won't last forever
    It already is - on a USB drive, with the contents of CD1 and CD2 all in one folder. Also backed up on the main PC and on the laptop.
    Vern.

Can you delete an item using the Route Editor?
    Jerry.

I would zip up the routes and trainset folders and store them in a safe place. Then you can still run route-related batch files down the road even if you can't install MSTS later.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    And before anyone sparks up, "Open Rails and TSRE", you still need the base MSTS files installed for the track system etc. to work.
    I doubt your view is shared by those who download Open Rails for free, shun all the 'built for MSTS' content, and then buy fully contained payware specifically branded for Open Rails use. For some strange reason, I hear those come 'fully fattened' with a full slate of base file alternatives.

But I agree that this would be terrible news to people who think dusty crypts containing gazillionbytes of ancient downloads are all the rage in this hobby still.

My lingering fear is about vendor preparedness and losing more of them from their taking up a position too far behind the development curve. Some vendors are ahead of the curve, building free-standing replacements to core files, while others are not. My mind wanders back to one feller from out west somewhere who sold his wares that always needed bits and pieces of default Kuju GP38 and Dash9 sounds buried deep in his sms files. As someone long without a GP38 or Dash9 folder anymore, every time I bought one of those products I had to move wav files or patch SMS files or outright re-alias the entire sound package.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    I would zip up the routes and trainset folders and store them in a safe place. Then you can still run route-related batch files down the road even if you can't install MSTS later.

I doubt your view is shared by those who download Open Rails for free, shun all the 'built for MSTS' content, and then buy fully contained payware specifically branded for Open Rails use. For some strange reason, I hear those come 'fully fattened' with a full slate of base file alternatives.

But I agree that this would be terrible news to people who think dusty crypts containing gazillionbytes of ancient downloads are all the rage in this hobby still.

My lingering fear is about vendor preparedness and losing more of them from their taking up a position too far behind the development curve. Some vendors are ahead of the curve, building free-standing replacements to core files, while others are not. My mind wanders back to one feller from out west somewhere who sold his wares that always needed bits and pieces of default Kuju GP38 and Dash9 sounds buried deep in his sms files. As someone long without a GP38 or Dash9 folder anymore, every time I bought one of those products I had to move wav files or patch SMS files or outright re-alias the entire sound package.
    Yes well, whatever.
    Vern.