Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIMBY - Train system simulation. FYI.

Default NIMBY - Train system simulation. FYI.

New on Steam....released 27th. January 2021.

From the developer's news update................

NIMBY Rails is finally ready for its Early Access release! It will be released on the 26th January. The Early Access price will be 16.99 USD / 13.99 EUR / 13.49 GBP, with a launch week discount of -10%, giving an Early Access launch week price of 15.29 USD / 12.59 EUR / 12.41 GBP.

It's been two years since that super slow, limited attempt at rendering a real world map was born, with the nebulous idea of building a train simulation on top. But it's finally here, and almost ready for launching. There's still quite a bit of work left to fully realize the vision of a detailed, technically precise, potentially world scale train simulation, but this first EA version is definitely more than halfway there.

Meanwhile, over on YT, some guy already has his hands on it and is raving about the game as is and what it may become.........

IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Interesting, kind of RRT or Transport Tycoon meet world!
    Vern.

Not In My Back Yard ???
    Yma O Hyd

Wow, this is interesting. This is the kind of work I did as a side consulting project, using commercially available software and specific data to model operating results. Now we have a $16 program with a great interface that just spits it all out! I wonder how realistic the numbers are?

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Not In My Back Yard ???
    Could be, Mike.
    I was wondering what the acronym meant.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

For $16 I think I'll have a shot at this and do a bit of "what if?".

That is the only thing i know NIMBY stands for buddy....

It's not for me anyway, but thanks for the heads up.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

I kind of got buyer's remorse as I was excited and purchased this on the day of it's release. I was waiting for just under a week as I had first heard about it then through my YouTube channel. My son BTW loves the program. What's odd is some of the concepts I considered programming myself, but seeing this in action at least for now perhaps I made the right decision to let that one pass.

For me personally it's like watching paint dry Keep in mind this is an early release and having the entire planet is a very cool thing that drove me in looking at it. I thought it would be cool to replicate my commuter systems, schedules etc. But then for me it gets old way too quick. The lack of express routes, AI dispatching to allow express trains to overtake etc. The fact that you can put a station in the middle of mount Everest just not for me personally. I'm glad my son and many others love it. Perhaps it will be more interesting down the road and one to keep an eye on for sure.

Thanks

Sean

I haven't bought it because I'm not on Steam. But to me it looks ridiculously cool! But then I get into reading government studies. . . I love imagining what could be or what might have been.
    Christopher

If certainly gives you some ideas as to how you can improve on existing transportation systems. The things that hold it back at least from a prototype stand point are the following.

1) The actual railroad and grade crossings.
    There are a few issues with this. Open Maps is what is used as the database and I'm familiar with it in my adventures in TransDem for Trainz. Basically they have removed all rail lines so that you have start from scratch which is fine. However what you'll notice is all the roads in areas that don't have tracks are difficult if not impossible to get through. When you cross at high angles it's some times impossible to get a bridge for example.

2) Speed Limits grades signals etc.
    You will be restricted only to the limit of the engine. There are no signals except a strange junction system and speed limits are not present. The only way to get a speed limit lower is to tighten a curve. This is good from a safety standpoint, but doesn't allow slow zones due to city bylaws and other factors such as bridge crossings etc.

Thanks

Sean