Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosaic Problem

Default Mosaic Problem

After rearranging things on my computer after a hard drive upgrade, I've found that I cannot change the MSTS path in Mosaic to access the correct location of my route. Originally I was using an installation on my D: drive, path being D:\Train Simulator. I want to change the path to reflect the new location on the C: drive, path being C:\Train Simulator.

But when I change the path in Mosaic, it crashes. I've verified that the path is correct, things spelled correctly, etc. The MSTS installation on the C: drive works fine, opens the route in Editors, etc. But trying to get there in Mosaic won't work.

I've looked through the registry thinking there may be a hard-coded path in there somewhere, but didn't find anything that referenced the MSTS path.

As an experiment, I tried making the same change on another computer, and ran into the same problem; Mosaic crashes if I try to change the MSTS path.

I also tried uninstalling Mosaic and re-installing it, same problem. Won't let me access my MSTS load on the C: drive.

Anybody else seen this?

Can you point me to a registry entry?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool.

Hi Jeff,
    I don't know if it'll be of any help, but this is the Mosaic Registry entry :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\Mosaic\generalsettings

Within generalsettings are two values : makeacepath and mstspath. If you change these to match the root folder of the installation you wish to use, when you start Mosaic, it will pick up those values. I can't guarantee that the remainder of Mosaic works as expected because I don't know how to use it!

I can only apologise that I didn't include Mosaic in the utilities that MSTS_Swap can start in a selected installation!!

Cheers,
    Ged

Thanks, Ged, but that didn't work for me. Before the change Mosaic would open but crash. After changing the MSTSpath in the registry, Mosaic doesn't even open.

Something else is going on here, I'll have to keep investigating.
    Jeff

Hi Jeff,
    That's very odd!
    Yesterday, when I posted, I'd only opened Mosaic in Demonstration mode. Today, I entered my registration code and it still loads the non-default route I set it to yesterday.
    Are you certain that you've set mstspath and makeacepath correctly? If it works for me, I think it should work for you!!

My Registry and Mosiac :
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've double-checked everything, all entries are spelled correctly, no errant spaces. The makeace feature works just fine being linked to the install on my C: drive. In the registry entry for mstspath, when I simply change the D to C, Mosaic crashes. If I put it back to D, it works fine. Everything else (MSTS install on the C drive) works fine.

Image1.jpg
    Jeff

Hi Jeff,
    I've tried various different settings and can't make Mosaic crash! Does yours show any message?

I suggest you try this to change to a different drive :
    A. Start Mosaic
    B. Double-left-click the path against MSTS Path
    C. Navigate to the installation you wish to use, scroll down to train.exe and left-click it
    D. Left-click the Open button and the new installation should show in the MSTS Path line

Cheers,
    Ged

EDIT : Have you set Mosaic to "Run as an administrator" in its Properties?
    Last edited by slipperman; 01-28-2021 at 03:38 PM.

Ged,

My installation won't let me drill down as far as the filename (train.exe). It has me select the folder (Train Simulator) only, does not show the filenames in the folder. Once I select the folder, Mosaic crashes with the message "Mosaic has stopped working" and all I can do is close the program.

Yes, Mosaic is set to run as administrator.
    Jeff

Hi Jeff,
    Well, sorry, but, I've run out of ideas

For some reason, you seem to have a different version of Mosaic; mine is 1.02 and, if it's important, I'm running Windows 10 v20H2.
    Mosaic is in T:\Programs\Mosaic.
    Most of my MSTS installations are on drive T:, but I've also successfully got Mosaic to read one on another drive.

Accepting that you may have a different version of Mosaic, your comment "It has me select the folder (Train Simulator) only, does not show the filenames in the folder." has me puzzled. When I double-left click the existing MSTS path name, the resulting selection screen states "Select file", not folder! On this screen, if you double-click a folder, it opens to reveal files within that folder.

Cheers,
    Ged

I've always used v1.11BETA, and never had any problems with it, until now. I've got it installed on 2 computers with Windows 7 and one with Windows 10.

And I never had a problem as long as everything was installed on the same drive... still trying to find a discrepancy somewhere.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate your time in trying to get this fixed. If I figure it out I'll post here with the solution.
    Jeff

Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for that little nugget of information!
    I found v1.11 BETA in my archive - There is a change where a folder IS requested when double-clicking the MSTS Path entry. When I select any MSTS root folder, even on a different drive, it is accepted, but, after I've selected the route, I get a 'Runtime error!' followed by "The application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way". This applies even if a route in the default installation is selected!

However, here I may have the answer!
    After replacing the Mosaic.exe file of my installed version with the v1.11BETA .exe file, the latter did work, even when selecting an installation on a different drive. After a little more testing, I'm pretty certain that file MWACE.DLL must be present in the same folder as Mosaic.exe (my original tests, above, were lacking that file).

I hope this works for you - if not, please come back with any error messages shown.

Cheers,
    Ged