Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large bodies of water?

A couple of other routes with large water zones I can think of off the top of my head are the payware Bala running along Lake Simcoe and the freeware CGW running along the Mississippi river for a dozen or so miles. Both do water the traditional way.

Quote Originally Posted by hiball 3985 View Post
    Why not use a painted terrtex file? Routes like the Surfliner have hundreds of square miles of ocean using this method.
    This would work awesome - now how to use it as a scenery object?

If you use TSRE's capability to bring in MapBox or Google image maps as terrain textures, you could easily take a real lake or river and have it applied to the terrtex.

You'd need to do additional work to mask out things you might not want on the terrtex, but it's a good starting point if you know how to use the painting tools.

OK, I've saved the ocean terratex ACE files from the Surfliner 2 route. Now just trying to figure out how to make a shape file to attach it to...that the RE will recognize it as a scenery object. I've never done that before and trying (miserably) to learn. Would a 500m x 500m be too large of an object to create? I don't need water depth layers, as the rail line's closest distance to the waterline is about 400m away. Just looking for a decent looking surface to to be seen from that distance.

In TSRE, under Paint Texture (F2), you can load the ace and paint or put the texture where you want it.
    If you try to enlarge a shape too much the texture you use will be stretched across the shape and you may lose detail.
    Traditional water may be best here.

FINALLY!!! I got it! Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions, I couldn't have done it without you all!

Dave

What did you end up having to do?
    For the next time someone has these problems.

Randy

I ended up using the texture set Eolesen sent me and your instructions. Sometimes, I have problems connecting the words to actions when dealing with computer things, so your words made sense. Not that anyone else's didn't, it was just the way I was understanding them. In all, it was a learning experience, so that's not bad either!

Thanks again!
    Dave

Glad you got it sorted out.