Thread: Installing Surfliner 2.2 into Railworks/Steam MSTS

Default Installing Surfliner 2.2 into Railworks/Steam MSTS

Hello everyone!

Last time I posted was 2 years ago... and well I decided to finally commit and download the surfliner route! I downloaded all the zips, extracted the contents, put them all together in one surfliner folder. Now I'm having trouble figuring out what to do next. I'm using DTG's TS or Railworks and the folders are a bit different than the readme. I finally found the routes folder but, upon pasting the Surfliner folder inside and booting TS, the route didn't appear. I searched around the forums and found things on routeriter, the rail works utility, .rwp extensions, clearing my cache, but nothing seemed to point me in the right direction or it seemed a little complicated.

So, currently, the surfliner folder is sitting in my Railworks/Content/Routes. What's the next step?

Also, I have no idea where my Consists folder is. The surfliner readme said to put the contents of their consist folder into my TS consist folder but I couldn't find it.

Ah, one more thing. I have installed both xtracks and NewRoads and pointed them to the RW folder so I hope that was the right thing to do as well.

Thanks!

Msts and Railworks are NOT compatible.
    Regards,

Eric

The next step would be to download OpenRails and the manual that goes with it.

And please feel free to ask questions.
    Last edited by rdayt; 01-29-2021 at 10:15 AM.

You just got yourself in a whole world of trouble on your PC... MSTS and RW dont get along together at all..
    Dave Edwards

WHOO! So I'm getting closer. Openrails has been installed, moved Surfliner folder into the routes section. But it seems I'm missing the dash-9 and SD402 which I know are default locomotives used, especially after reading this: "These consists use default stock and are required for the included activities to work." Since I don't have access to the default locos, Would my next step be to download a different activity pack that uses freeware trains? For example, the surf_pack.zip looks promising with links in the readme to all the required trains to download.

On a side note, should I reinstall Newroads and Xtracks since there's a new directory?

Thanks!

Your new install should look something like this.

C:/OpenRails
    C:/Trainsim
    These have to stay separate.

These will vary on your circumstances and preferences. Use what makes sense to you. Whatever you do stay away from system folders, those controlled by windows. A root folder on the drive is probably best.

Your Trainsim folder should include these folders,

Global
    Routes
    Sound
    Trains

You'll need to download tsection52 from the library here and put a copy in the Global folder.

And to save some aggravation later include a blank text document named train.exe.
    If you point the installers to C:/Trainsim they should install ok.
    Later on you'll want to install addons to a work folder so you can check things out before you copy them to the sim.

This is a good start.
    Welcome to the forums.

Randy

Just to add.
    You can replace the equipment called for in the activity with whatever you have on hand.
    The Consist Editor that comes with TSRE can do this. It can be found here.
    While you're there grab a copy of openal that matches your OS. You may need it.
    Forget the default equipment, you'll be seriously disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    Just to add.
    You can replace the equipment called for in the activity with whatever you have on hand.
    The Consist Editor that comes with TSRE can do this. It can be found here.
    While you're there grab a copy of openal that matches your OS. You may need it.
    Forget the default equipment, you'll be seriously disappointed.
    Sweet! This helps a lot since the Surf_pack has some default requirements for their consists. Although, could I just rename some of the files to replace them? For example, downloading a GP38 and renaming the .eng file to GP38.eng to match the requirement?

Quote Originally Posted by Racer395 View Post
    Sweet! This helps a lot since the Surf_pack has some default requirements for their consists. Although, could I just rename some of the files to replace them? For example, downloading a GP38 and renaming the .eng file to GP38.eng to match the requirement?
    It would probably be safer to rename the entry in the consist file to whatever engine you are using. Eng files have the name embedded in them plus links to sound, cabview, etc. which all might have to change.

Jon