Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Adding Automatic Switch Sounds in Openrails

ORTS has its own implementation of switch sounds along with curve squeal and curve+switch squeal. No sound sources are needed to be placed in the route, everything is coded. All you need is a set of sounds and some work in the trk file. Full instructions are given in the manual, section 13.3 on page 244 along with a hyperlink to download a soundset that fits with the instructions.

If you want to use the sounds that come with Trainsimulations routes, just modify the sms files to use the different wav files, or rename the wav files to fit the sms.
    Last edited by baldwin; 02-17-2021 at 03:01 PM.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

I have Carlos' Demo sounds working in my copy of Donner Pass but Seligman uses the sound source system to produce switch sounds. I don't think it's as easy as you say, unfortunately. I have tried Carlos's sounds in Seligman but without success.
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Hi Gentlemen,
    This is a repeat of a post I've made on elvastower.

I believe I have now got Carlo's sounds to play correctly in the ORTS Seligman route and list the procedure below. I will not be held responsible if it messes up your installation, but it works perfectly on mine! In fact, the sounds are much better than the original SLI sounds (I've heard them in the MSTS version!).

1. Add Carlo's DemoAutoSound folder into the global SOUND folder
    2. Copy welded_ex.sms, welded_in.sms, SLI_tracksnd1_ex.wav and SLI_tracksnd1_in.wav from the route's SOUND folder into the global SOUND folder
    3. Add a folder named OpenRails into the BNSF_Seligman_ORTS folder
    4. Add the .trk from the attachment into this folder.
    5. Replace the existing ttype.dat file with the one from the attachment.
    6. If you have added the three DemoAutoSound entries to the regular BNSF_Seligman_ORTS.trk file, delete them.

Cheers,
    Ged

Seligman Sounds.zip

IT WORKS!! Many thanks Ged. you've made my day and possibly my year! I'm now going to be busy exporting your fix to my remaining 4 TrainSimulations routes.
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Hi Niknak,
    That's good news, mate
    Glad to be of help!!

Ged

Ah, slight problem with other TS routes.. It seems as if Seligman is unique regarding track sounds. None of my other TS routes (BNSF Scenic/CN_Ruel/Mactier/Mullan) use the same sound method. They all have blank ttype files the same as Seligman but don't use the welded rail sms files or SLI tracksnd wav files and I can't see their equivalent. When I try the fix the OR log doesn't throw up any errors but there's no switch sounds. Nevertheless I'm very grateful for what you have achieved with Seligman, Ged.
    Last edited by niknak; 02-18-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Hi Niknak,
    I don't have the Mullan route, but do have the CN_Ruel route, so can have a look at it. Regarding the BNSF_Scenic route, do you mean the free ORTS demo route? As far as I understand it, the Mactier was a free route for MSTS with the stock pack being sold by SLI/TSN. If I'm correct, I also have those these two, so will investigate.

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Ged, Yes I meant the free BNSF Scenic route and, as you say, Mactier was also free, with just the trainset and activities as payware. I anxiously await your findings lol.

Hello all,

I am now able to hear the switch sounds from Carlo's Demo sounds. I did notice when the train is moving slowly over multiple switches, under 10mph, the sounds will keep looping as if the train is moving faster than 10mph. Also some abrupt noises also play. Does anyone know a way to smooth this out? Just trying to make it as real as possible when doing yard work

Hi Niknak,
    Sorry, but I can't help with the CN_Ruel route - nothing I do has any effect

The free Scenic_Sub route is a different story - I've got Carlo's sounds to work, but with a little cheating!!

I used the same global SOUND contents as for the Seligman_Sub route.

The original ttype.dat file contains just one line :
    TrackType ( "Concrete Supported" "USATrack1In.sms" "USATrack1Ex.sms" )

Change this to be :
    TrackType ( "Concrete Supported" "Welded_in.sms" "Welded_ex.sms" )

Then add the three DemoAutoSound lines and change the number at the top from 1 to 4.

Add folder OpenRails into the BNSF_Scenic folder and copy the OR .trk file used in Seligman_Sub route into it and change the 'include' line to be : include ( "../BNSF_Scenic.trk" )

As far as I know, this was using the latest version of the free Scenic_Sub route. If the above doesn't work for you, please let me know - in the two versions I have, the .trk files are dated 2018 and 2020.

I've haven't been able to check the Mactier route yet!

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 02-18-2021 at 01:42 PM.