Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Adding Automatic Switch Sounds in Openrails

Wow that was nice and quick Ged! Sounds appear to work perfectly in the Scenic route. i was a bit worried at first as my copy of the route's ttype dat file had NO entries before I added the concrete track one plus the 3 DemoAutoSound ones but all seems fine. Again, many thanks
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Hi Niknak.
    The Mactier route presented no problem, once I'd sorted out one anomaly**!!

As this route is intended for MSTS, the global SOUND folder is complete and just needs Carlo's DemoAutoSound folder adding.

Create a folder named OpenRails in the Mactier folder.
    Copy the contents of the Scenic_Sub OR .trk file into it and change the 'include' line to read : include ( "../mactier.trk" )

To the Mactier ttype.dat file, add the 3 DemoAutoSound lines and change the number at the top from 1 to 4.

** Open the main Mactier .trk file and scroll to the bottom. There, you'll see 56 followed by 16 x close brackets - delete all these characters to leave just one close bracket following the "TempRestrictedSpeed" line.

So long as I've not missed anything, that should be it! It works for me!!

Cheers,
    Ged

Just one query Ged. My mactier route's ttype dat file has NO entries at present. Sounds like yours has one already?
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Hi Niknak.
    Yes, mate, mine already had one entry. I used the version of the route I had downloaded from SLI/TSN (v1.5) I also have another version (also 1.5) but I don't know from where I downloaded it! However, it, too, has one entry in the ttype.dat file.

Have look in the Mactier SOUND folder for files named : CPtrack00_in.sms and CPtrack00_ex.sms
    If they are present, add the following line to your ttype.dat file : TrackType ( "Default" "CPtrack00_in.sms" "CPtrack00_ex.sms" )

I don't think they are used, but I've a feeling that Carlo's sounds entries don't like to start at position zero!

If they are not present, please come back and I'll see if I can dig up any more info!

Cheers,
    Ged

Yes that works perfectly for mactier. I tried the welded sms etc for Mullan route, as that, like BNSF Scenic, didn't have any obvious files in the
    Sound folder but no luck. but at least I now have decent track sounds in 3 out of 5 of my TS routes thanks to your knowledge. I'm off to read now, before I start hearing switch sounds and flange squeal in my head lol. Thanks again Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    ...** Open the main Mactier .trk file and scroll to the bottom. There, you'll see 56 followed by 16 x close brackets - delete all these characters to leave just one close bracket following the "TempRestrictedSpeed" line.
    Cheers,
    Ged
    That's a humdinger that I'd forgotten about ( I keep a log in each route of the changes I've made ) and I noted that fix.
    Ged, really fine work on the the sound problems outlined in this thread...they work fine...thank you sir!
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Hi,
    @Niknak : I've just downloaded the latest version of Mactier from TSN and found, as you reported, that the ttype.dat file has no entries! However, as you've found, carrying out the procedures in my last two messages also works perfectly OK for this version.

@Gerry : Thanks, mate I don't know why those characters are at the end of the .trk file but, somehow, they prevent Carlo's sounds from working!

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by csx8851 View Post
    Hello all,

I am now able to hear the switch sounds from Carlo's Demo sounds. I did notice when the train is moving slowly over multiple switches, under 10mph, the sounds will keep looping as if the train is moving faster than 10mph. Also some abrupt noises also play. Does anyone know a way to smooth this out? Just trying to make it as real as possible when doing yard work
    I also sometimes noticed the switch problem you mentioned, and unfortunately up to now wasn't able to find the cause of it.
    Can you be more detailed about the abrupt noises?

Carlo

Hello Carlo,

I believe this only happens when the train is moving under 10 mph or slowing down to under 10mph, then the switch sounds 1-10 are being triggered. I was going to try to see if I can mute them. I’m not sure if there’s a way in openrails to do this but I think what will solve the problem is if the switch sound can be trigged only when a unique car goes over a switch, that will sound more realistic than switch sounds looping while the train is moving.