Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Adding Automatic Switch Sounds in Openrails

Hi Nick,
    Based on my previous tests, I found that the DemoAutoSounds parameters only worked for the RUEL route if they were in the route's main .trk file - they did not work if they were only in the OpenRails .trk file. That seems a little odd because, in that location, they work correctly for other routes. Of course, it could be me doing something wrongly, but I don't know what!!

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Ged,

Who knows? lol. I think the answer is probably 42

Thank you also Derek and Mervyn for your contribution.
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Even with an empty ttype.dat, Ruel has always had curve squeal noises. How were they generated?

https://youtu.be/y7o8Vcx0NMs?t=258

Last edited by geepster775; 09-06-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Hi geepster775,
    That's a very good question, sir!
    I can't find the .wav files anywhere! There are 50 .ws files in the World folder with all but 5 using sfx_high_wind.sms which calls sfx_high_wind.wav file which is most definitively not any sort of rail squeal!!

However, the main question is, why do the DemoAutoSounds work if the parameters are entered in a full .trk file, whether it's in the route's folder or in the route's OpenRails folder, but not in the 'include' version of the .trk file in the OpenRails folder??

I've even looked for 'hidden' files in the RUEL folder but can't see any!

Have tested with the latest MG version of OR together with the last stable, unstable and testing versions.

Cheers,
    Ged

The answer is likely in the TS Common Sound folder. Flange squeal was part of their comprehensive rolling stock sound retrofit that also brought us the emergency brake stopping sounds, the train air release 'hissing noise', and the randomized flat spot wheel thumping. And this sound set availability, accepted or discarded by various users, is probably somehow adding confusion to the testing circumstances between different reporting individuals... giving false positives.

Rowie's beet hoppers arrived aliased to 2001 kuju default sounds. I changed half the loaded hoppers to the TS latest "freight.sms" and the other half to TS "old_freight.sms". Their old_freight.sms seems to be required if you want the randomized flat wheel sounds . No other old MLT sounds or rolling stock occupied the Trainset folder, just the latest Open Rails soundset from TS

https://youtu.be/sem1e8wALg0?t=474

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Rowie's beet hoppers arrived aliased to 2001 kuju default sounds. I changed half the loaded hoppers to the TS latest "freight.sms" and the other half to TS "old_freight.sms". Their old_freight.sms seems to be required if you want the randomized flat wheel sounds . No other old MLT sounds or rolling stock occupied the Trainset folder, just the latest Open Rails soundset from TS

https://youtu.be/sem1e8wALg0?t=474
    Absolutely yes. I've just looked at the TS sounds and "x_fast5" wav is the flat sound. I also double-checked I was successful as per post #68 by running the Mullan route again and I definitely do have the DemoAutoSounds playing - There's no mistaking those points sounds! lol
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Hi geepster775,
    Thanks for the video, but I am trying to find out why Carlo's DemoAutoSounds aren't working unless they are added to a full .trk file. For testing, I'm only using a light GP40 loco.

Having checked the loco sounds, it randomly plays flange1.wav, flange2.wav or flange3.wav when the CurveForce increases past 700, to produce the squeal sounds.

Cheers,
    Ged

Is anyone experiencing the issue where the switch sounds are looping too quickly when the train is moving under 10 mph or coming to a stop on a switch? I haven’t been able to figure out a solution to this, if any one knows please share.

It seems to be a common problem. No solution yet as far as I'm aware.