Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding Automatic Switch Sounds in Openrails

Hi,
    For starters, can you please post a copy of your BlackfootV2's ttype.dat file and your OpenRails can99v2.trk file

Cheers,
    Ged

can99v2.trk:

include ( "../CAN99v2.trk" )
    ORTSDefaultTurntableSMS ( turntable.sms )
    ORTSSwitchSMSNumber ( 2 )
    ORTSCurveSMSNumber ( 3 )
    ORTSCurveSwitchSMSNumber ( 4 )

I changed the numbers in the entries. I don't think they mean anything in OR. They're just placeholders for now. Originals were 11, 12, and 13, I think. There is supposed to be a blank line above the include( "../CAN99v2.trk" ).

ttype.dat:

[email protected]@@@@@@@@@JINX0t1t______

TrackType ( "Default" "CAN99track0_in.sms" "CAN99track0_ex.sms" )
    TrackType ( "Switch" "DemoAutoSound/switchtrackin.sms" "DemoAutoSound/switchtrackex.sms" )
    TrackType ( "Squeal Curve" "DemoAutoSound/curvesquealtrackin.sms" "DemoAutoSound/curvesquealtrackex.sms" )
    TrackType ( "Squeal Switch" "DemoAutoSound/curveswitchtrackin.sms" "DemoAutoSound/curveswitchtrackex.sms" )

I tried the same thing in a route I'm working on in TSRE, but it doesn't work there. I even copied the sound folder from can99v2.

Quote Originally Posted by dougbrow View Post
    can99v2.trk:

include ( "../CAN99v2.trk" )
    ORTSDefaultTurntableSMS ( turntable.sms )
    ORTSSwitchSMSNumber ( 1 )
    ORTSCurveSMSNumber ( 2 )
    ORTSCurveSwitchSMSNumber ( 3 )

I changed the numbers in the entries. I don't think they mean anything in OR. They're just placeholders for now. Originals were 11, 12, and 13, I think. There is supposed to be a blank line above the include( "../CAN99v2.trk" ).

ttype.dat:

[email protected]@@@@@@@@@JINX0t1t______

TrackType ( "Default" "CAN99track0_in.sms" "CAN99track0_ex.sms" &nbsp
    TrackType ( "Switch" "DemoAutoSound/switchtrackin.sms" "DemoAutoSound/switchtrackex.sms" )
    TrackType ( "Squeal Curve" "DemoAutoSound/curvesquealtrackin.sms" "DemoAutoSound/curvesquealtrackex.sms" )
    TrackType ( "Squeal Switch" "DemoAutoSound/curveswitchtrackin.sms" "DemoAutoSound/curveswitchtrackex.sms" )

I tried the same thing in a route I'm working on in TSRE, but it doesn't work there. I even copied the sound folder from can99v2.

Your numbers are off. They should be 1 2 3, as the sim starts counting at 0.
    Steve
    USAF Veteran

Hopefully with Ged's permission (slipperman) I'll post his to reply over at ET in a thread about this same problem, hope it clears it up...or adds a little information.

...numbering of the ttype.dat entries starts from zero, which means that 14 entries translate into 'positions' 0 to 13.

The numbers allocated by Carlo to the three DemoAutoSound entries will only apply if there are already 11 sound entries in the ttype.dat file. I have seen existing ttype.dat files with 10 sound entries, so adding the 3 DemoAutoSound lines will make a total of 13 entries (ie positions 0 to 12). In this case, the .trk values must be changed 10, 11 and 12 respectively.

Cheers,
    Ged

Edit : By the way, I believe the example shown in Paragraph 2 of 13.3 of the Open Rails manual won't work as intended. There are 14 entries in the ttype.dat file with the DemoAutoSound entries being the last three, but the .trk file has them allocated to positions 10, 11 and 12.
    ...so locate and look at your existing ttype.dat file to see how many entries there are before numbering the DemoAutoSound entries. They do mean something in OR.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Hi Gerry,
    Permission granted, Sir

Cheers,
    Ged

Can I just jump in on this thread to ask if anyone has managed to get DemoAutoSounds working on TrainSimulations Ruel and Mullan routes? Ged was most helpful a while back in enabling them in various other routes but these two have defeated me so far.
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Hi Nick,

I will have a look tomorrow ( its 2100 here )
    Cheers
    Derek

Many thanks Derek
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Hi Nick,
    I've had another look at the Ruel route (I still don't have Mullan) and, using the 'normal' OpenRails .trk file, the switch and curve sounds aren't heard.

I tried putting the three DemoSound parameters in the route's main .trk file, just before the final close bracket. IT WORKS!!!!
    Please don't ask me why!! I've tried everything I can think of regarding format of and positioning in, the OpenRails .trk file, without success. I even unsuccessfully tried creating a new OpenRails .trk file using the NoTrees utility - I wonder if any other OR parameters will work from that file??

Mactier route is in the same installation as Ruel and the sounds work correctly. I even copied the ttype.dat and OpenRails .trk files from that route into Ruel (changing names in the latter!!), again, without success. I appreciate there could be problems mixing MSTS and ORTS routes in one installation, but both seem to run and display correctly.

Cheers (puzzled!!)
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 09-05-2021 at 10:56 AM.

That is VERY good news Ged! Thank you so much for your persistence in all of this. I have always put the sounds in the main trk folder on MSTS routes (eg:MLT's routes and freeware routes such as Monon, MP5 etc) but with Ruel being an OR route I didn't think that would work there. For me these sounds make a huge difference to my enjoyment of a route so I will be installing them in Ruel asap.

Thanks again.

Nick
    Last edited by niknak; 09-05-2021 at 11:16 AM.