Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realistic viewing distance

Default Realistic viewing distance

I have recently been playing around with the viewing distance option in the video tab. It has got me wondering on what are true realistic viewing distance a train crew could theoretically see. Currently I have been going between 3219M (2 miles) and 4218M (2.5Miles). Also curious on what other settings and opinnions everyone else has.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I've had mine set to 8000m ( 5 miles ) and had been meaning to change it...think it's a little long.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    I've had mine set to 8000m ( 5 miles ) and had been meaning to change it...think it's a little long.
    Yea that does sound just a little long.

Although, the viewing distance setting may have something to do with the visual effect of objects suddenly "popping" into existence when you're looking at a distance in the sim...which also may have something to do with the horsepower of the graphics card. Hard to know what the optimum viewing distance setting should be...giving consideration to the graphics card in use.

I was using a G-Force 750 --- which had a pronounced "objects at a distance suddenly appearing" effect as compared to my recent upgrade to a 1660 --- that effect no longer is apparent.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Although, the viewing distance setting may have something to do with the visual effect of objects suddenly "popping" into existence when you're looking at a distance in the sim...which also may have something to do with the horsepower of the graphics card. Hard to know what the optimum viewing distance setting should be...giving consideration to the graphics card in use.
    I completely understand what you are saying. I currently have a GTX1660TI but am finding that I can push it to its limit in some in certain situations but I have no problems generating 144FPS which is on par with my 1440P monitor.

Excuse my earlier post it is 4023M (2.5 miles) not 4218M.

Mine is currently at 2500m due to my Nvidia GT710 only having 2GB memory.
    Dell desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GT710 2GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver.

I'm currently using 10000m, the PC can handle it

5 miles is a stretch, though we do have some long tangents we can run along that are 5-6 miles long.

personally I keep the viewing distance to roughly a 1.5 mile. Most of the time I spend in the cab, so I don't see much anyways account of hills, curves, etc.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    5 miles is a stretch, though we do have some long tangents we can run along that are 5-6 miles long.

personally I keep the viewing distance to roughly a 1.5 mile. Most of the time I spend in the cab, so I don't see much anyways account of hills, curves, etc.
    I agree. I am finding the 2.25-2.5 mile range is about perfect for computer performance with my build and not being able to following the the scenery being generated as I go. I have a couple spots on the BNSF Seattle Sub I visit that are strait and the signals are just under 1.5 miles from the crossings.