Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Realistic viewing distance

I run 4000m. Would be nice if we could set some buildings to be viewable from longer distances... eg taller than 100m... the skyline of Chicago is easily visible from 25 miles away.. same thing with radio towers.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    I run 4000m. Would be nice if we could set some buildings to be viewable from longer distances... the skyline of Chicago is easily visible from 25 miles away..

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    I wonder if somehow the skyline of Chicago or any large city could be somehow tied into the distant mountains setting?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

My settings are based on the route and the effects I am wanting to use at the time. Metro and mountain routes usually go with shorter distances. But If I am running flatland routes, I push it to 10,000 without shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by bprice View Post
    My settings are based on the route and the effects I am wanting to use at the time. Metro and mountain routes usually go with shorter distances. But If I am running flatland routes, I push it to 10,000 without shadows.
    I've often suggested some sort of addition to OR to add a "route specific set of options" to be loaded when a specific route is chosen.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

I keep it at 6000m to eliminate popping of scenery. My compu can handle it but ORTS can't.

The shadows with the default 2500m viewing distance are sharper than with 6000m. In fact, the higher the drawer distance, the lower the quality of shadows. It has been like this for years so I just decided to roll with it.

IMO the correct answer depends, in part, on the route. You can see much, much further in dry deserts than you can in high humidity locations. And then there is the issue of whether or not the terrain is going to block the view anyway.

As most of the route running I do tends to be very dry with flat terrain I set my view distance at 10,000m, In one route I have 100km DM and knowing the region very well I can attest that 100km is not at all too far.

So I think the only time when one answer fits all situations is when the PC simply cannot deal with anything further than a certain distance no matter what.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Yesterday I was sitting at my computer desk on 2nd floor and looking out the window could see mountains 80 miles away to the east near Lake Mead.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

The last two posts reinforce my contention that OR needs a method/option to introduce "user selected" route specific options when loading explore/activities/timetables.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    The last two posts reinforce my contention that OR needs a method/option to introduce "user selected" route specific options when loading explore/activities/timetables.
    CoalsToNewcastle (Peter Newell) coded exactly this a little time back but it gave rise to some controversy. I think that was resolved, so perhaps this work can now be adopted.
    Chris Jakeman

I run 3000m. I try to avoid putting too much strain on the GPU